Chapter 10 - Play it By Ear

Start from the beginning

But well, he has other priorities, and that’s clear enough. What she needed to do right now was to be a very supportive girlfriend.

Vince was determined to pursue a career in Hollywood, and although she didn’t like the idea of living in a world filled with controversies and endless camera flashes together with her boyfriend, she still decided to extend her support to him in her own little ways by regularly messaging and tweeting him, tagging him with photos and encouraging quotes that she posts in her IG once in a while...and doing everything that she thought would compensate for not being physically by his side during his most-awaited career break.

She doesn’t usually receive immediate tweet and replies from Vince, but he always makes it a point to thank her in her IG posts. He scarcely calls or video chat with her, but he always reassures her of his love for her.

That’s enough to keep her holding on to their relationship.

“Hija, why are you up so early! Saturday naman, ah!” Carmi, who was busily watering the plants in her garden, exclaimed as Raffie neared her.

“May practice lang po ako sa music school, Mommy,” Raffie replied, holding up her guitar. “Then I’ll spend the rest of the afternoon at the church with Louie…pero uuwi naman po ako dito ng lunch time. Sige po, I have to go now.” She kissed her mom and started to walk towards her father’s EcoSport.

“How about breakfast, Anak?”

“Doon na lang po sa school cafeteria, Mommy. Bye!”

About forty minutes later, Raffie was already in her office, sitted comfortably on her table while beginning to strum her guitar.

There’s no music, no confetti
Crowds don’t cheer, and bells don’t ring
but you’ll know it, I can guarantee
when the right one comes along

What they’re thinkin’, what you’re feelin,
You no longer have to guess
All those questions are finally put to rest
When the right one comes along

Every single broken heart will lead you to the truth
you think you know what you’re lookin for
til what you’re lookin for finds you…

Raffie was ardently singing the piece she will be performing at Raymund and Kate’s wedding reception. She was actually requested by Kate to sing such a song as she had taken fancy on it ever since it had been featured in Nashville, a musical television series. Opportunely, it was also one of Raffie’s favorite songs.

And Quino volunteered to sing it with her.

“Uhm…I’m so sorry I’m late,” Quino said as he knocked and then entered the half-opened door of Raffie’s office.

Raffie, who was still singing while strumming her guitar, immediately looked up to see Quino walking towards her with his usual imposing aura - the characteristic exuding from him which she has mistaken to be an air of arrogance during their first few meetings.

Now, after spending a couple of times with him during their song practices for Kate and Raymund’s wedding, she was slowly getting to know more about this seemingly sulky and supercilious man.

With a bright smile, Raffie said, “Oh, I just got here about a few minutes ago.” Then, realizing that she was actually sitting on her table, she started to hurry to get down so she could offer Quino a seat.