CHAPTER 10: FRIENDS?

ابدأ من البداية

Tom's view:

She just broke my heart. Shattered it. Not sure how I'm able to still stand I feel like I got punched in the gut. She said we are not friends. She hates me.

I said, 'Sydney I understand. Thank you for being so kind that you are letting me stay and working with me. Can I just talk to you, you don't have to speak, just listen" She nods.

I said, "I want you to know that I'm so sorry. For everything. Thursday. I'm ashamed of how I treated you. If you will let me, explain. I'm not making excuses. I just want to say why" She nods.

I said, "to start with, when I talked to you, I knew I was not going to take you home and hook up. You are unlike any girl in that bar."  

Sydney's side:

I'm telling myself please don't cry. God he's going to hurt me again.  Like I know he is not attracted to me.

I said, 'I know that. I know that I have hardly any chest."  He said, "Hey no that's not what I meant. I meant you are like way up here high class, and all those girls were down here. I mean one look at you and I knew that even though I wanted to take you home, I didn't stand a chance because you I just could tell that you aren't that kind of girl. That's a good thing. I mean I just think that you probably would never go have sex with a stranger."  I nod.

Tom's view:

I said, "I wanted to talk to you. I was hoping we could talk, when I talked to you, I was caught off guard by the look of rage, anger and hatred in your eyes.  I mean I have never met you before and you looked at me like I was a monster. Then you flew into a rage and yelled at me, all the guys in the bar were looking at me, pointing laughing. And I felt like you were cutting me down, and taking my manhood from me. Making me look weak to those men. And my pride to a hit. I just I mean I was mad, because I didn't do anything, and then I just wanted you to stop. I wanted you to not blast me, and not make those guys laugh at me. Then you said I was ugly, and that hurt my ego. Hurt my pride. I let my anger and my hurt pride control me, and I wanted to shut you up and hurt you like you hurt me. So I lied to you and I said that you were ugly, and that is not true. You are beautiful. And I'm shocked that you don't think you are. I mean you had all 3 guys asking you out your first minute at the station."  

I said, 'As far as your mom, I'm sorry I had no idea and I should not have assumed your mom was alive. I know what that's like to lose"

Sydney's view:

I said, "Wait, does your mom live near here?"    Tom said, "yeah. about an hour away."  I said, "Then don't do that. Don't sit there and tell me you know what's it like to lose your mom."

He said, "you're right I don't know what it's like to lose you mom, but I do know what it's like to lose my dad. And I imagine the grief and loss stays with you always."  I feel like a real bitch to even say that to him.  I said, "Tom I'm um I didn't I'm sorry."  He said, "it's ok"  I saw tears in his eyes." He said, "And last I will help you on anything you need. Any of your cases, your car, if a guy is bothering you, you need him roughed up. You name it. I mean it Sydney. Anything you need. If you want to call me no matter what time, if you need my help. I'm there."

I  said, "I don't have your number"  He said, "I can give it to you. I'll write it down and then you can"  I handed him my  phone. "Just put it in."  He did..  He said, "I'll keep my distance when we aren't working, if you need something text me."   I nodded.

Tom's point:

She said, "Tom."  I said, "yeah"  She said, "why did you tell my brother, I mean you didn't have to. I wasn't going to tell him."  I smiled.  I said, 'yeah he told me that you keep things from him when you think he will go attack someone for hurting you."