Factory Construction

This will be this month's post.

Finally, Asahi's ambition may begin to move... maybe.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asahi, which assassinated the harbor magistrate Sodeshita Sukiyoshi in darkness, had obtained permission from His Majesty and was inspecting various lands owned by Sodeshita and the Wairon Trading Company. A week had already passed since that period drama-like sword fight, but by that time, all the planned lands had been cleared. As Asahi and Fusou looked on in astonishment, they observed the location where they had performed a grand spectacle a week ago.

"...What kind of magic did they use?"

"I can't help but say that... I never expected the Japan of this world to be so efficient in their work."

"Well, considering they have survived through turbulent times where the top literally risked the survival of the nation... It's possible they follow the principle of doing what needs to be done urgently in a top-down manner."

Nevertheless, considering the total area, the acquired lands were quite vast, accounting for nearly a quarter of the Tokyo Metropolitan Area (including the 23 special wards and areas like Tama Ward). In particular, the lands included factories for commodity production previously owned by the dissolved Wairon Trading Company, as well as separate residences for Dogenza and his mistresses, which were quite extensive. As of now, Asahi had already given instructions to a part of the engineering corps and the architects and plasterers residing in the harbor city of Kii, planning to build a large mansion where they could live on the former Wairon Trading Company site. After all, they needed spacious land and a solid foundation to accommodate a house where dozens of people could live and perform military duties. In that regard, although they had pursued exorbitant profits, the former Wairon Trading Company site was truly suitable for fulfilling those requirements.

"But anyway, a lot of people are gathering here. There are even people with outfits that clearly don't seem to be from Japan."

In front of Asahi, there were sturdy men of dwarf, beastmen, and ogre races who were working on processing stone materials. Their attire and facial features were more similar to people from ancient Southeast Asian countries than to Japanese. They seemed to be migrant workers coming from island nations located eastward from the Japanese Empire. As soon as the news spread that they would be taught the 'Showa Era' construction methods possessed by Asahi and his companions, over 5.000 people gathered in no time.

Originally, the Okura Fleet led by Asahi had brought along craftsmen, technicians, and some resources, but there were still limitations to what they could provide. This unexpected turnout was a pleasant surprise. Moreover, many of the materials that were anticipated to be needed were actually part of the stockpile that the Meiji Emperor had been accumulating for over 20 years, including steel materials. Apparently, His Majesty had received a divine oracle in the past and had been stockpiling various resources, including steel, based on that revelation. Materials for concrete production were also stored, and Asahi was amazed by the quantity. Thanks to this, arranging for materials was easier, which was a relief for Asahi.

It seemed that His Majesty, perhaps due to his experience during the turbulent Russo-Japanese War in the Meiji era, also understood the importance of concrete. He had been going out of his way to help Asahi, and it was said that he had made great efforts on his behalf. Of course, it could be predicted that there would be many who wouldn't take kindly to this, so it was important to be cautious in one's approach.

"So, it's been said that we'll be constructing factories on the riverside land... Commander, what do you plan to produce first?"

"Let's see... Standardizing ammunition is important, so how about starting with the production of the Type 99 rifles and the Type 90 field guns for infantry?"