The Strike Force Sets Sail!

This is this month's post.

Finally, the real mano e mano fight is about to begin.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later, after the preparations for the second-class transport ship, equipped with tanks and howitzers, and Akitsu Maru were completed, Asahi and his crew, who had finished their departure preparations, eagerly awaited the arrival of the observing military officer scheduled to be dispatched from the kingdom.

"It's about time for their arrival..." Fusou murmured while looking at her pocket watch. Next to her, Taihou also had a slightly anxious expression.

"Has something unusual happened?"

"It's hard to say... In this kind of world, it wouldn't be strange if something suddenly happened... On the other hand, it wouldn't be surprising if they're just running late."

While having that conversation, four men and women descended from the station. However, when Asahi laid eyes on one of them, he couldn't help but shout.

"E-Elly!? Why are you here!?"

It was none other than the princess of the Japanese Empire, Takamagahara Elina, once again dressed like a sailor.

"Asahi-sama, I told you that I'll be coming too. Could it be that you forgot!?"

Certainly, Asahi had said something like that, half-jokingly asking her to 'obtain permission from His Majesty,' but he never thought Elina would actually come.

"Well... about His Majesty's permission..."

"Yes. I certainly obtained it. In a letter."

"You're telling me you got permission after an after-action report...?"

Asahi face-faulted, unable to believe it, but now that they had come this far, there was no turning back.

"It's alright. I wrote in detail in the letter that I decided to forcefully accompany you, so Asahi-sama won't be blamed for anything."

"Thank you for your consideration..."

That was the best response Asahi could muster.

Upon closer inspection, the men and women standing behind Elina were smiling at him.

"Nice to meet you, Okura-dono. I am Colonel Saigou Tsugumichi, belonging to the Army. It seems Hime-sama has been greatly indebted to you."

He was a dwarf-like individual, short in stature but with a sturdy build, carrying a large sword on his back, resembling a zanbatō. As Asahi had initially expected a lieutenant-level officer, he was surprised to find a high-ranking official from the Army. Moreover, the casual mention of the officer system being in place indicated that a military structure similar to that of the Meiji era and beyond was indeed being implemented here.

Next, a female Dragonkin stepped forward. She appeared to be in her mid-twenties, emitting a powerful aura that contradicted her graceful appearance.

It's worth mentioning that she had an hourglass figure. Bon-kyu-bon.

"I am Captain Saitani Umeko of the Navy. Allow me to witness the strength of your fleet."

"Excuse me, but may I ask your age? You appear to have a longer lifespan than the average human..."

It seemed to be a common question from people of other countries as she replied with a chuckle.

"I am 82 years old. Dragonkin typically have a lifespan more than five times that of the average human species. I am still quite young in that regard. I have recently succeeded my father and joined the Navy, so I intend to learn a lot."