Great Expectations

Start from the beginning

He started shuffling off, but I grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"No, no, no, it's okay, Eddie—"

"This isn't up for debate, Belle," he ordered, taking my hand and pulling me along. I felt my stomach flip at his resolution, and I dropped his hand as I started walking in step with him.

----

I felt like I was full of electricity and fire. I could feel the tension between Elle and I as we walked together, quiet as the warm night air blew around us. I wanted to take her hand again, I wanted to continue making her blush and flirt with her.

"What happened between you and Dustin?" she asked suddenly. I felt my stomach drop and looked down at my feet. It was silent for a beat. "I remember how close you two were when we were in school."

"Yeah, we were," I said sadly. I jammed my hands into my pockets. I sighed, my chest heavy. "I used to be an asshole."

She scoffed and I looked at her, smiling.

"Used to be?" she asked.

"Well, in your book, I still am," I joked. She smiled, nodding her head. She was so pretty right now, her cheeks rosy and dewy from the alcohol and constant teasing. "But I was a major asshole then."

She nodded, prompting me to keep talking. I shrugged.

"I thought for me to get out of Hawkins, I needed a clean break. I basically told everyone to lose my number and not talk to me. Dustin took that the hardest. He came to see me the day before I left, convinced that I didn't mean it. But I did."

"Jesus, Eddie," she murmured. I felt my face heat.

"I know. He's like a little brother to me, and I treated him like that," I said, defeated.

"And you didn't tell him you were back?" she continued.

"No, which was shitty. I was just overwhelmed coming back and with Wayne being sick, I was all over the place. It's not really an excuse—"

"No, no. It makes sense," she said, touching my arm softly. It felt like electricity. How could I have ever forgotten her?

"Yeah, but I messed up. I should have just bit the bullet and gone to see him," I replied. I shook my head. "I miss that kid a lot."

"I bet he misses you."

"As if," I scoffed. I looked at her, surprised with how kind her expression was. "Did you see how he acted tonight?"

"People don't act like that without some kernel of care," she replied. I saw my opening and leaned into her.

"Oh, is that why you treat me the way you do?" I flirted.

"There's always an exception to the rule, Mr. Munson," she quipped. I clutched my chest and stayed leaning into her.

"Does things to me, Belle," I flirted. She snorted and slowed to a stop in front of her building. I opened the door for her, and she raised an eyebrow.

"You don't have to walk me up."

"A gentleman would never leave a lady like this," I replied.

"Oh, can you show me where the gentleman is?" she asked, feigning innocence. I dropped my jaw.

"You are cruel, Belle."

She rolled her eyes but smiled, walking through the door. I followed her through the hallways, pausing in front of her door.

"How far is your walk back?" she asked. I licked my lips nervously.

"Oh, you know," I answered vaguely.

"No, I don't, which is why I asked," she replied curtly. I looked at my feet.

"Probably like an hour or so," I mumbled.

"Eddie! Why would you walk me back if it was that far for you?" she exclaimed. I shrugged.

"Just want to show you I'm not that asshole anymore."

She watched me for a beat and I studied her face. I couldn't discern what she was thinking. She sighed, pulling her keys out of her bag and opening the door. I watched her walk in, doing everything I could to take her in before my long trek home. She turned, setting a hand on her hip and nodding to her apartment.

"Come on – you're sleeping on the couch," she ordered. I felt my mouth dry and eyes widen. I felt like my ears were ringing. What did she say?

"Oh, no—"

"Come on, asshole – I'd feel a little guilty if you got run over or something on your walk home," she insisted. I grinned and stepped in, looking down at her as she locked the door behind me.

"Only a little guilty?" I teased. She shrugged.

"I don't want to set unrealistic expectations," she replied.