Chapter 6

Some of the nations worried for the young boy. Russia surprised everyone by scooping the young one up and holding the child carefully with a true smile on his face. Alfred giggled and played with Russia's scarf.
England came over. Alfred struggled to get away. Russia placed the toddler down, who promptly ran  to Matthew. Matthew scooped the child up as England sighed.
"Sorry, he somewhat remembers certain people." Matthew stated. Spain came and Alfred screamed in terror, clinging to Matthew for dear life. Spain backed away as China shoved something into the child's face. Alfred stopped screaming and sucked on the Binkie.
"What's that?" Matthew asked.
"A baby binkie. It calms children down." China stated. Germany started the meeting by going through role call.
"Vhere is America?" Germany demanded.
"Alfred F. Jones died a week ago. He was buried two days ago and last night, I found this tyke." Matthew stated. Maria, aka Mexico, took Alfred to his chair in between the other North Americans.
"You hurt him and my sister and I will make you pay tenfold for it." Matthew threatened. Maria started to talk to Alfred in Native American as this was happening.
~Hello, Eagle.~ She said.
~Mommy!~ Alfred exclaimed. She looked at him in a way only a mother could. Matthew sat down next to Alfred. Alfred climbed into Maria's lap, where he fell asleep during the boring meeting. The South American countries smirked at the North American family.
The meeting was uneventful due to most of the countries being in shock, grieving, or sleeping (in Greece's case). Germany decided that it was lunch time. The North Americans were the first to leave. They decided to go to a little restaurant close to the meeting place. Maria carried the sleeping toddler. The manager of the place reminded the two older countries that Alfred was not in age appropriate clothes.
"Sir, we just adopted him from a reservation that clung to traditional values. He had to come to the world summit with us today and I, as his mother, did not want my nino to experience culture shock from clothing." Maria half lied. The owner nodded in understanding, took their orders, and served them. Alfred woke up as the food arrived at the table.
~Daddy, what's that?~ Alfred asked Matthew.
~This food is similar to what you're used to eating. This is buffalo tongue.~ Matthew said gently. Alfred giggled.
~I love buffalo tongue!~ Alfred exclaimed. Matthew smiled as Alfred attempted to eat with a fork before finally using his hands, making a mess but looking adorable.
"Maria, We have to protect him." Matthew stated.
"Si, mi hermano, he is so small and he is our responsibility. One question, though. Why am I always Mama and you are Papa?" Maria asked. Matthew glared at her.
"I am sorry, but I am glad that he thinks of us as his parents, again. If only Gaha were here to see her 'slave', first 'son', chief of the Eagles, and the strongest nation yet rise above even her. He /must/ remain safe!" Maria said rapidly. Matthew nodded.