Chapter 22

It was race day. Oscar woke me up this morning early, way too early for me, to let me know he had some early meetings at the track and that he would be back to pick me up later. I only remembered the encounter when my phone started buzzing on the tv stand across the room. Not only had I not set an alarm last night, but my phone was on my nightstand when I went to sleep. Oscar must've moved it and set the alarm to ensure I actually got up. I sat up, my two sizes too big taylor swift t-shirt was twisted around my midsection, and the waistband of my shorts had ridden up in the night. The alarm was still going off, directly in front of me across the room. I stared at the phone blankly. Curse Oscar for his early morning smartness. I would've most definitely continued to snooze the button over and over if it was beside me. Which I guess is something he must've learnt over the past few days.

I sighed and got out of bed, leaving the warmth and comfort of the fluffy bedsheets and pillows. I looked down at the phone. The alarm was labelled. See you in an hour. -Os. I smiled and shut it off. I got ready quickly, opting for a quick shower and blowdrying my hair. Once I finished my makeup and got dressed I still had time to head for some breakfast downstairs. Barely, I'd have to let Oscar know I was down there. I collected my things and checked myself in the mirror again. For race day I wanted to be comfortable, so my favourite pair of jeans covered my legs. I usually hated jeans, but I knew I would be standing in the garage, and these ones were loose. On the top, I wore a simple top, which matched my belt colour, which I thought tied everything together. A sundress or something else may have been more suitable for race day, but this was by far more comfortable.

If I was going to be spending the rest of the day bouncing between emotions of excitement, worry, hysterics and anxiety, I was going to be in my favourite jeans and a comfortable tank. Satisfied, I grabbed my purse and sunglasses and headed for some coffee, breakfast was secondary, coffee always comes first in my book.

Remembering where the breakfast room was, having been there a few times now I quickly grabbed a cup of coffee and then some food. Once I had a plate loaded up I grabbed a table by the window and texted Oscar.

Smart move with the alarm, I'm in the breakfast area, let me know when you're out front I'll come out.

It took a few moments for him to respond, most likely between or in meetings so I focussed on finishing my coffee and breakfast before the hour was up. Still deciding to preoccupy myself with my phone I opened Instagram, looking through my feed. I followed the Mclaren team account and I watched the stories, then clicked through the few others. I still followed a few people I graduated with or grew up with, but I clicked through the posts faster than others. I thought about scrolling F1 gossip pages, like I know some drivers do, but decided to wait until the memes rolled out after the race. Instead, I just scrolled my feed, passing by the couple of posts my mom had made of her new flowers. The ones that didn't get hit with frost a few days ago. And the piglets Oscar had unintentionally convinced me to follow the night we met. Ange had a new post, and it made me pause my mindless scrolling. It was a picture of her latest ultrasound with the caption See you soon little girl. Instantly, I dialled Ange's number. She picked up on the second ring.

"You bitch!" I said on the phone, probably louder than I should've. The few people in the room looked over to me so I lowered my voice. "You decide to tell the world you're having a baby girl before you tell me?" I didn't want to come off as angry, but Ange was the one who never left me out of the news, hell, she told me she was pregnant before she told Caleb as well as all the details of their evening, whether I wanted to hear it or not. And now I have to find out the gender of her baby through social media.

I guess that's what distance does to friendship.

"I know, I'm sorry, Caleb and I were just so excited when we found out, we figured that would be the fastest way to tell people." Ange sounded apologetic and I felt bad, but my anger at being left out smothered the kernel of guilt.