Chapter 9 ~ James

I spent the next month at Lily's side. She hadn't shown any signs of waking up. One day, she got worse. Her body temperature decreased until she felt icy cold. I felt like an idiot for letting this happen to her. Day after day, I would just sit there, staring, waiting for her to wake up even though I knew it wasn't likely. I tried hard to keep my grades up, and surprisingly, they weren't that bad. In fact, my grades were above and beyond. I just wished that I could tell Lily. She'd probably be surprised that an arrogant toe rag had such good grades.

The bad news came too soon. Madam Pomfrey walked up to me, looking miserable.

"If she doesn't wake up soon, she's going to die. Her aura is fading." she whispered. I noticed that Lily was slowly becoming transparent, just like a ghost.

"What happened to Regulus Black and Bellatrix Black?" I asked bitterly.

"They've been suspended."

"Suspended? They've nearly murdered someone and they've been suspended? Is Dumbledore mad? Bellatrix Black used the Cruciatus Curse! It's illegal! She should be sent to Askaban!!" I yelled.

"They come from rich and ancient pure-blood families. They could pay their way out of Azkaban if they wanted to." she said.

"So, we're just going to sit here and watch her die?" I asked. I stormed out of the hospital wing. Tears of anger were running down my face. I walked straight up to my bed and stayed there. Sirius and Remus attempted to talk to me, but I ignored them. I wanted to be alone. I gave up after Remus came for the millionth time.

"I just want to talk to you, mate." Moony said.

"Evans is going to die. Her aura is fading away. The Blacks murdered her and they're only suspended. All I can do is sit there like an idiot while she dies. There's nothing else I can do about it." I said.

"I always knew they could blackmail the ministry." he said. I stayed silent for a long time.

"I'm going to go see Lily. You're welcome to join me."

"Alright." I whispered.

We walked to the hospital wing. Lily was even colder. You could see right through her. My hands curled into fists. I began to hear a strange song.

"Remus, can you hear that?" I asked quietly.

"Look. It's a phoenix." he said, pointing. There was a huge bird singing a song. It came closer to Lily. I had seen it several times in Dumbledore's office. It was Fawkes. It landed on Lily's bed. Then, it began crying. The tears seemed to land on her even though she was transparent. It stared at her for a while before flying away. I began to walk away. I didn't want to see her die.

"James..." Remus said quietly.

"I am not going to fancy looking at her die, you know." I snapped.

"Come here."

"No. I don't want to be here."

"Trust me, you'll want to see this."

"Give me one good reason to stay."

"Her color is coming back."

I froze. I turned around and walked back slowly. Sure enough, she was becoming solid again. Her color was returning. She began to get warmer. Her eyelids fluttered open and revealed her sparkling green eyes.

"Phoenix tears." Remus said. She sat up and stared at us.

"W-what happened?" she asked. I ran and hugged her tightly.

"You're alive! You're alive!" I said cheerfully. She stared at me like I just fell from the sky.

"Am I supposed to be dead?" she asked.

"Yes. I mean no. I...well sort of. But that's not important right now." I said quickly.

I think it was because I was overly excited to see her alive that I did that. I don't think I would have done it if it was a normal day. But it wasn't a normal day. And that made all of the difference in the world. I kissed her. She was too stunned to move. I winked and ran out to tell everyone the good news. She stood there like someone had used the Body Bind spell on her. I saw Remus put an arm around her.

"Ahh young love. Very extraordinary. And very much present between you and James."