CHAPTER 7: MATCHMAKER JUDY AND TRUCE

Start from the beginning

I said, "Thank you Judy for defending me. You don't need to tell me, but what did she say when you told her all that about me, I mean that I'm not that kind of guy" She said, "That she felt worse now, because she clearly misjudged you, that just because you are a man and were there didn't mean you are like the other guys.  She really does feel bad for hitting you. And she wants to be able to work with you, without it being awkward."  I said, "yeah I'd like that too. She apologized to me."  Judy said, "yeah she told me that. So, then you are cool with her."  I said, "yeah."

Judy said, "we are going to the mall tomorrow to shop and hang out."  I said, "well I'm glad you got a friend to go shopping with. I hope you two have a great time."

Judy said, "thanks. So just let me know if you do start falling for her, maybe I could help" I said, "Judy I don't fall for girls remember. I don't do love. Or girlfriends. Relationships. Commitment."  Judy said, "Right and now you don't do hookups either, so why" I said, "What is it with you, you are as bad as the guys, what do you care if I hook up or not."  She said, "I don't care. I'd rather you not, if you are wanting to be with Sydney. I mean she's a really sweet girl Tom. And she deserves better than a guy who just wants a hookup and who goes out and has sex with random girls."

It's Monday. I have spent the last two days obsessing over Sydney. I mean I misjudged her. She could have tried to get Judy mad at me, instead she told Judy that she was to blame for it all. She owned it. Have to give her credit.

I pull up early, as usual. And I'm shocked because I'm not the first one here.  I spot Sydney's white Corvette.  Not parked in my spot.  I open the door.

She is sitting at her desk, and I scared her. She jumped when she heard the door.

I said, "Sorry. If I scared you" She looked at me, then said, "it's fine."

I said, "you're here early."  She said, "I just like to be early."  I nod my head.

I went passed her and went to the coffee machine, started the coffee.  I ask if she wants a cup to help herself.  She said she doesn't drink coffee.

I sat at my desk.

I said, "Judy told me you told her what happened, that you took full blame, and said that I didn't do anything wrong."  She said, "yeah. Like I said I'm sorry about that I'm hoping that you will accept my apology. If you want me to go in and tell Adam what I did to you, attack you without cause, then I will. I kind of felt like I should have told him Friday."  I said, "no there isn't any reason for Adam to know. It's over with I accept your apology."

She gave me a slight smile. Well not really gave me. She smiled, and was looking down, when she looked up at me, the smile was gone.

She said, "Good, this is my last chance at being a cop, so I'd really like to take the job. I don't want trouble with you, I will try and stay out of your way."

Those words hurt. Stung. I'm beginning to hate the deep pain in my chest this girl brings me.

I guess what she is saying is that she is calling a truce with me, putting what happened between us in the past, and has no desire to be friends or communicate with me ever. She wants to stay out of my way, and me stay out of her way.  This is for the best. I don't want her to know how I feel, and I need to hide that from everyone.  But it hurts.

Everyone starts coming in.  And we do our usual morning how are you talk.  Adam starts with Judy and Harry and their case.  I was actually holding my breath and didn't realize it really, but I was praying hoping that Booker won't be paired with Sydney on a case.  I mean I hate being paired with Booker, but I'd rather be paired with him, and not have Sydney with him. I won't be able to handle it. Him working so close to her.