CHAPTER 7: MATCHMAKER JUDY AND TRUCE

Start from the beginning

I am shocked at what I'm hearing. What, guys touched her, threatened her, dammit. "

I said, "She told you that she was totally to blame."  Judy said, "yeah she feels really bad about it. She lost it on you."

I said, "I'm surprised she told you. I told her I wasn't going to because I knew how excited you were to have her here."

Judy said, "she told me that she couldn't be friends with me, without telling me, because she felt like it would be betraying me, since she knows you and I are good friends. She figured I would not want to be her friend, when I found out that she hit you."

I have to admit that shocks me that she did that. Took all the blame. Came clean with Judy. I guess I have misjudged her.

Judy said, "She is worried about working with us, because she thinks you hate her."  That stung.  I mean I don't hate her. Far from it. I'm trying to keep from falling for her.

Judy said, "Tommy, I won't tell her. I promise this stays between us. I won't tell the guys either. But I have to ask you, are you falling for her?"

I hurriedly say "no Judy. Why would you ask me that? You know I don't fall for girls" Judy said, "I know but you turned down a hookup last night and tonight. And the way you were acting all jealous over the guys hitting on her."  I said, "I was not. I'm not jealous."

Judy said, "oh ok, so if she went out with Booker tonight then" I said, "Dammit did he ask her out? Did she agree to go out with him. Where the hell is he taking her"

Judy laughed.  She said, "Gotcha Hanson."  I said, "Jude."  She said, "no Booker is not taking her out. And she is not interested in dating Booker or Doug or Harry. Or you for that matter. I just said that because it's obvious you're jealous."

I said, "I'm not jealous. Just because I don't want to have to watch Booker with her, doesn't mean I'm jealous Jude. I don't do relationships, girlfriends, or get jealous or fall for girls."

I said, "Judy what were you saying about guys threatening her."  Judy said, "I don't know they threatened her, but she felt threatened. I can relate. I told her that is my nightmare. To have to sit alone. She was trying to order food to go, but the bartender was so backed up, and the kitchen was backed up it took forever, and she said one guy after the other hit on her, and every time a new guy sat down it was more disgusting what they said. Tommy as a rape victim I can relate to that. I would have been terrified sitting there.  She hadn't eaten much, and then had the two drinks, and she knew it wasn't right, but she kind of let all her anger out on you. I mean Tommy come on. You're a good guy. You're not disgusting like that. But guys who degrade women and say disgusting stuff about what they want to do to you, it's upsetting, it's terrifying to some girls. You can see that right."

I said, "yeah Judy. And I'm sorry. I had no idea that happened to her. I mean the place was crowded.  A lot of hookups going down. I didn't know."

She said, "I really like her. I'm glad she is joining the team. How about you" I said, "I'm happy that you have another female on the force, so that you can have a friend.."

Judy said, "I actually told her all about what happened to me."  I said, "you told her about um" She said, "yeah, that felt good to talk about it with her."  I said, "That's good that you were able to talk I think it's good for you to talk about it. But I'm a little shocked that you would tell her this, when you just met her."

Judy said, "yeah I was a little shocked I felt so comfortable with her, but I did so mainly because of you."

I said, "I don't get it."  She said, "Well I wanted to make sure that she knew that she was safe with you. I mean safe with all the guys, but since you and her had that fight and she hit you. I just wanted her to know that you aren't like those other guys at that club who were disgusting to her. That you would never treat a girl that way. I mean she told me that you didn't do anything, and it was all her, but I just wanted to make sure she knew that you weren't that kind of guy, I mean just because you were there to hook up, doesn't mean you are a jerk like that. Or treat women bad."