Mafia AU: Vincent

[Vincent M. x William A.]

-VL-

"Are you sure you want to wait here alone?"

William turned to Ennard who was looking at him doubtfully, after which he moved his head forward again and stared at the empty seat at the end of the long table—facing him. "Don't you have things to take care of here, kid?"

Ennard knit his brows briefly before letting out a breath. "I do have something I need to take care right now—"

"Then go." William leaned his back against the back of a wooden chair. "I can take care of Victor alone, I'm lucky enough that you hacked the surveillance camera in this room." William glanced at Ennard for a moment. "Besides, it's about business, I can't miss it like last time. This is an invitation from Victor personally, I need to know what he wants this time."

"What if it ends like the last time you met him?"

William's eyebrows lifted upwards. "Are you concerned I'll get fucked up by him again?"

Ennard was clearly at a loss for words.

"Since when are you worried?" William snorted in amusement. "It seems that being in my base allows you to regain some human feelings. You like being there, don't you? Of course, there is my son who is always having an intercourse with you."

Ennard quickly stood up—too fast, in fact, that his chair fell over, his face completely red. "I don't—we don't always—you—never mind!"

Ennard walked out quickly, while William only gave a faint smile and chuckled seeing how Ennard seemed frantic and embarrassed at the same time. However, what he said was indeed true. That young man can now express his feelings more easily since working for him as a double agent. Even so William did suspect that the relationship between Ennard and his eldest son was now involving feelings (he wasn't complaining, it was entertaining to watch).

William exhaled, he opened his phone while waiting for Victor's presence. That bastard didn't honor his own invitation, they should've been discussing since an hour ago but there was no sign of Victor coming at all. He shouldn't be too surprised, Victor had always been like this ever since he knew him. He heard the door open, he immediately turned his head, slightly hoping that it was Victor; nope it wasn't Victor.

He knew the man in the masquerade mask, Victor's private secretary. There was something about him that was fishy, which he had confirmed after researching Victor's life to its very depths. William watched the black-haired man who was arranging the documents at the end of the table carefully.

"Hey," William started, "Glitchtrap ...?"

"Yes?" Glitchtrap answered quickly, after which he flashed a faint smile at him. "Do you need anything?"

"When will Victor arrive?"

Glitchtrap seemed to grunt. "Maybe in an hour, he's on something right now. Probably knocking up another woman or scolding the others."

After getting his answer, William nodded in understanding and cursed inside; one more hour? He didn't want to waste his time, but what would happen if he decided to leave and cancel today's discussion with the leader of the Morgan group? Once again William took a deep breath. He decided to keep a close watch on Glitchtrap again. They've only met a few times for relatively short durations, but from his gestures to the way Glitchtrap writes ...

"Vincent?"

There was no answer, either he was being ignored or the man simply didn't hear him. William called again. "Vincent."

Still no response, Glitchtrap didn't even glance up or give a hint of being called. William got up from his seat and took a few steps towards Glitchtrap who was checking the report—or maybe the schedule of his and Victor's discussion today. "Vincent."

William was very sure, that name was the correct name. He couldn't have been wrong.

"Vincent!"

As he tapped Glitchtrap on the shoulder to get his attention, Glitchtrap startled that he pulled away from him in an instant, the masquerade mask falling off his face. They both widened their eyes. William was stunned, amazed at the face that was identical to the person he hated in front of him. Meanwhile Glitchtrap was aghast.

Glitchtrap seemed to come to his senses, he touched his face then looked at the marble floor in panic—he tried to pick up his fallen mask but William was nimbler, picking it up first.

"You don't need to worry," William said as Vincent gave him a sharp but also anxious look. "No one will ever find out about this, Vincent."

"That's not my name," the man replied, his hand reaching out, asking for his mask back.

William snorted and backed away from Glitchtrap. "Is it true?" William gave a thin smile. "We both know Glitchtrap is your code name, just like Noah. Isn't that right, Vincent?"

Glitchtrap—no, Vincent was still looking at him intently, his forehead was starting to frown and his lips were straight and tight. William was waiting for the right time to return the mask, he watched Vincent carefully after Vincent was starting to think about it. Vincent's fingers slowly trembled as he lowered his hand slightly.

Now William was concerned with Vincent's reaction, he approached slowly. "Vincent?" he said softly as he held Vincent's shoulder.

He could see how the man's platinum eyes were starting to water even though his face was looking down. Victor's background leads him to Glitchtrap's background. When was the last time Vincent heard someone call him by his real name? William didn't know, he couldn't even imagine what if he was in Vincent's position; always overshadowed by the identity of someone else.

William flashed a warm smile. "I know about you, I've always been aware that sometimes the Victor I talk to ... isn't Victor," William said, he cupped the side of Vincent's face carefully. "That was you, wasn't it, Vincent? That's your name."

They stared at each other, neither said a word after that. William still maintained his smile, while Vincent looked astonished.

Then William gasped as a punch landed hard on his cheek.

He took a few steps backwards and almost fell over, William swore and rubbed his face lightly—it hurt so much, he had just exposed his blind spot to being hit. William knit his brows at Vincent who picked up the fallen masquerade mask, he watched how Vincent put the mask back on to hide his face.

And then Vincent smiled. "Sorry for my impudence, but that was completely outside the realm of our business." Vincent said calmly. "I will contact Victor and ask him to come immediately. Excuse me."

William didn't reply anything but stared at Vincent who walked out leaving him alone.