9✝ Loose Lips Sink Relationships

I stared in astonishment, darting my eyes back and forth between Todd and Brendon. Todd glared at Brendon while Brendon raised his eyebrow in a confident smirk, and Drunk Debby whined, trying desperately to get Brendon's attention.

I closed my eyes, bringing my hands frustratedly to my temples, the words that had left Brendon's mouth seemed to play over and over again in my head.

A Bet? Had this whole month with Todd just been for some stupid bet?

"What the hell is he talking about, Todd?" I ask furiously, finally looking up and staring directly into his wide eyes.

The drunk girl begins to exit the room, annoyed by our sudden inburst and interrupting her game of tonsil tennis. She narrowed her eyes at me as she passed, so I kindly stuck my foot out and tripped her.

Todd still hesitated to answer me, as Brendon tried to sneak out past me with his seemingly new love interest, but I grabbed the back of his shirt collar and shut the door before he could exit.

He wasn't leaving that easily.

My anger was building rapidly due to the awkward silence, as Brendon and Todd stood in front of me like dogs with their tails between their legs. Both boys not daring to look me in the eyes, and I didn't blame them, I wouldn't want to have to face myself at this moment either.

My voice is low and demanding when I open my mouth, "Todd you'd better answer me right now."

"Babe, I don't know what he's talking about." Todd says finally, glaring at Brendon.

Brendon just lets out a dry, smug laugh and points at Todd.

"The fuck you mean you," he bends his fingers in mock quotations, putting on a fake voice to imitate Todd, " 'don't know what I'm talking about'? I heard you and the entire basketball team talking about it."

Todd's mouth dropped open instantly, as his eyes widened further, and he looked my way, studying me carefully. He was good to suspect that I would charge at him, because he had the word guilty written all over his features.

"So let me get this straight," I began, walking towards Todd who held his hands up in surrender, "You made a bet with your sleazy sports buddies that you could get me to have sex with you?"

By now I was so close that I had him practically pinned against the wall, cornering him as he had done to me against the lockers today.

His mouth struggled to move as he muttered, "Uh, I..."

I tapped my foot annoyedly against the ground, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"And what would you have won for this little endeavor?"

A small apologetic smile formed over Todd's lips, "Your virginity?"

I ignored his smart aleck comment, and got closer to his face.

"Is that all this month was to you? A bet? Well let me let you in on a bit of information; it doesn't matter anymore because I've been using you anyways." His eyes narrow at me, "Plus," I say, turning to Brendon, then back to Todd, "I've had my sights set on someone else."

Todd let a quick 'Hmph' escape his mouth, as he muttered "Whore."

My mouth hung open slightly, as I was astonished by his words, but suddenly, an arm flew from behind me, extremely near to my face, and slammed against Todd's mouth.

I stepped back, stunned.

Brendon only put his hands on my shoulders gently, and switched our positions so that he was standing in front of me, blocking Todd.

Todd, in this matter, was rubbing his hand against his lip, now busted and bleeding, matching Brendon's.

"You can hit me," Brendon said lowly, getting in Todd's face, "but you don't say one word about Vanessa." Then, as soon as he had struck the first time, Brendon sent a second blow against Todd's eye.

"Have her. I never wanted that slut anyways." Todd growled at him.

After that, I lost count of how many times Brendon hit him. He stood for what felt like hours throwing punch after punch against Todd's body, and from where I was standing against the opposite wall of the room, all that could be heard was the dull thump of the music outside the door, and the rough thump of fist against face, and head against wall.

I was proud, watching Brendon go at it like a wild ape, beating the snot out of my scummy, sleazy, douchey- every sinister word on the planet included- EX boyfriend.

Todd, on the other hand, hadn't even tried once to fight back, and by the end of it all, he was on the ground almost unconscious.

Todd laid with his eyes closed, breathing heavily as blood poured from various's sections of his face. He didn't even attempt to move.

Brendon turned to me, finally done with his attack. His eyes mirrored a look of sympathy towards me, as he walked over, laced his arm around mine, and pulled me out of the room.

"What are you doing?" I asked, as Brendon led me down the hall, through groups of humid, sweaty bodies.

"We really need to talk." he said urgently, struggling his way past everyone. The house still reeked of alcohol, making it increasingly more challenging to breathe against the putrid smell.

We finally pushed past the last group of people and took the remaining few steps towards the front door. He let go of my arm to open the handle, and then pulled me out of the house with him.

I breathed in the fresh evening air, thankful to be finally out of there. Brendon cleared his throat, breathing heavy as well, but for a different reason. It got silent quickly, and I looked up, meeting his deep brown eyes, and he stared back into mine. Like any cliche romantic moment, Brendon leaned his head in for a kiss, but I put my hand against his chest to stop him.

"Whoa there buddy, I'm still a little pissed at you. You have some questions to answer." although I really did want to kiss him back- oh how I immensely wanted to kiss him back- I didn't want it to taste like that drunk dunce.

His heartbeat pounded against my hand, as I kept it pressed against his chest, and his face had contorted into an expression of inability to understand.

"Why are you pissed at me? I just beat the shit out of that asslick for you." His eyes were growing painfully disappointed, "I'm supposed to be the hero right now." he added, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"Does this ring a bell?" I retort, turning around and hugging my hands against my back. "Oh Brendon." I say breathlessly, making random spitting noises, trying so desperately to portray two people making out.

He laughed a bit as I ended my little show, and turned back to face him.

"I could definitely get used to those sounds." he half-way joked, biting down on his bottom lip.

I hit his chest playfully. "Save it." I say, my tone now becoming serious, "Why were you putting your lips on someone that wasn't me?"

He sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"Honestly?" I nodded. "Fine, if you want honesty, then..." he hesitated, trying to find the right words, "that was you..." I pulled my eyebrows together in confusion. "...in my head..." he added, letting his eyes fall to the ground for a moment before he brought them back up to meet mine.

"And why couldn't you have, instead, kissed the me that is," I opened my arms wide, motioning to the air around us, "in the real world?"

Within an instant, his lips were against mine, right were I wanted them. And although he wasn't answering my question with words, I couldn't have asked for a better response.