01. seattle, washington

⠀⠀⠀⠀The following punch happens not-at-all in slow motion, the way I expect dramatic moments worthy of a freeze-frame do, but in one swift and sudden manoeuvre that sends the crowd jerking away as Sighkick's lead singer, Axel Shannon, hits the flo...

⠀⠀⠀⠀The following punch happens not-at-all in slow motion, the way I expect dramatic moments worthy of a freeze-frame do, but in one swift and sudden manoeuvre that sends the crowd jerking away as Sighkick's lead singer, Axel Shannon, hits the floor cold.

⠀⠀⠀⠀From the sound of the punch, something in his face has got to be broken. He isn't all the way knocked out, but it takes him a moment to gather his bearings, and even longer after that to stand back up. He does so quickly, stupidly, and sways on his feet, drunk on nothing but adrenaline and the shock of the punch. There are hands on him—onlookers and fans of the band trying to hold him up from behind—but Axel either doesn't notice them, or he doesn't care.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You made your point, Axe," warns the sender of the punch, lead guitarist and (Perhaps regrettably...) my friend, Nate Fournier. His newly split-lip and cheekbone are already starting to swell from the few cheap shots Axel had previously thrown his way, and underneath the shifting coloured lights of the club, Nate's attractive face looks grim. "I think you've done enough."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Apparently not.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Like an idiot, like an absolute bloody moron, Axel flares his nostrils and balls his hands into fists, and then everyone—too stunned to move or too busy recording this moment on their cellphones—is suddenly watching on as Axel blindly charges through the crowd toward an unmoving Nate.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Someone—I think it might be Will—half tackles me from behind, half pulls me out of the way, and I'm thinking about all the ways I want to turn and strangle them until I see Axel bowl through the same space I had been standing a mere second ago. I'm a bystander to it all, watching with woozy eyes as Axel shoulder-slams into Nate before the two bandmates (Former bandmates...?) go tumbling off the stage together in an angry flurry of fists and leather-clad bodies of testosterone.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh for fuck's sake," Alissa says with a huff of air beside me. That's all I can make out before I witness her leap offstage toward the fight, disappearing into the mosh pit that has become of the dance floor.