Home

In which Annabeth finds her true home may be with the Jackson's.

It was five o'clock on a Saturday night. Annabeth was exhausted from long hours on Olympus, trying to find a centerpiece for the constantly bickering gods to agree on.

Of course Poseidon wanted a fountain, and Athena wanted an olive tree, and she had to remind them that this argument had already been settled long long ago. Demeter wanted a garden. Zeus wanted a statue of himself, and Hera wanted a statue of her. Hephaestus and Artemis didn't seem to care, and Aphrodite and Ares were nowhere to be found. Hermes was off delivering packages. Dionysus was at camp.

And for once... Apollo was the only one with a good idea.

"What about something that incorporates all of us and our abilities?"

"Well... it'll put me a bit behind schedule. I was hoping for something easy... but—" Annabeth flips over her planner to see what her other upcoming projects will be. "I think if I draw up a design tonight, I might still be in line. I added extra time for them to argue."

So she sat in Central Park now, eyebrows scrunched staring at the paper debating on which aspect of some of the gods to use in the exhibit.

5:10. She was getting hungry. Hangry even. Some woman said hello to her as she ran by Annabeth refused to even wave back, she just glared instead.

"I need food," she mutters to herself. She decides to text Percy.

Annabeth: Date night? I'm hungry

Percy: Mom already started making food here. Want to join?

Annabeth could never say no to Sally's cooking. Never. It was impossible.

Annabeth: be there soon.

She packed up her stuff and halted a cab.

When she arrived at Percy's house, Sally immediately hugged her. It felt so good to receive an affection that had been taken from her her whole life.

"Hey Wise Girl!" Percy exclaimed, holding baby Estelle in his arms. He looked cute like that. She pressed a kiss to his cheek as she passed by Sally.

"Food will be ready in about ten minutes. Percy, sweetie, can you get Estelle some of her food? I put it on the table."

"Stella, ready to eat some nasty mushy stuff?" He asked, acting excited for her. She started babbling in his arms. The couple just laughed.

He took a seat still holding her and Annabeth opened the bottle of food.

"Mmm, yummy carrots," she told her, bringing the little pink spoon to Estelle's lips. She scrunched up her nose and tried to push the spoon away with her hands. Percy just laughed. Annabeth tried once more, and this time it managed to work.

"Annabeth, how was work today?" Sally asked, pulling the food out of the oven and fanning it with her oven mitt.

"It was good." Annabeth began to tell her about the argument between the gods. Paul entered the kitchen from the family room where he was grading papers.

"It sounds like you have your hands full. I'm so happy you stopped for food," Sally told her. Sally knew that Annabeth sometimes had nights where she'd be so wrapped up in her work that she'd practically have to be forced by Percy to eat, or she wouldn't eat anything at all. "You can use my office after dinner to get some work done."

"It's okay, Sally. I don't want to disturb—"

"I won't be in there tonight. You can use it. Please."

"Okay. Thank you." Sally smiled softly towards Annabeth as she scooped another spoonful of orange mush into Estelle's mouth.

"Of course, dear."

Sally pulled out all of the plates as Estelle finished eating her food. Percy began to wipe Estelle's face while Annabeth put the remainder of the food away. Paul served everyone's helpings onto their plates and brought them to the table.

"There's more if you need it, kids," he told them. He then took Estelle from Percy's arms and to her nursery so she could sleep. Sally sat down across from Annabeth and Paul returned next to her.

After dinner, Annabeth went to Sally's office to finish up her work. She laughed at the pictures of little Percy that sat all over the room and smiled at the new ones of him and Estelle. She smiled even wider when she saw one of her. She remember the day Sally had taken the photo, right outside of the Empire State Building on Annabeth's first day of work. She didn't realize that she had printed it off.

She turned to complete the task ahead of her, drawing out a design for Olympus. A garden was her best option, with statues, fountains, and olive trees throughout it.

But she couldn't get that dam photo out of her head. Why had Sally printed it? That one photo was probably more than what her dad had of her. She felt tears in her eyes and quickly brushed them away as a knock sounded at the door.

"Come in."

"Hey Annabeth," Percy greeted. "You need anything? Water, snack, me to beat up a god?"

"Water would be nice," Annabeth told him. He disappeared and filled up a cup, returning a moment later. He set it on the desk for her and took a look at her sketch.

"It looks great, Wise Girl." He kisses her cheek. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong."

"You're upset."

"I'm okay. I promise." I kissed him on the cheek. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder.

"You're lying and I know it. Why were you crying?" He whispers.

"Because I'm so happy." Percy smiles into my neck.

"What are you so happy about? Did something terrible happen to Hera?"

"I wish, but no. I noticed that your mom has a picture of me in here."

"Oh, that? She's always had a picture of you up. There's another one on the bookshelf in the family room. You hadn't noticed?"

She let out a sob because it was that moment that Annabeth knew that that was her home. She was meant to be there. They were her family. Percy hugged her tight and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

Home was indeed the best way to describe it.