Balloons

"Percy... what the hell are you doing?" Annabeth asked, walking out of her and his room in the Jackson/Blofis apartment. She woke to an empty bed, only to find Percy tying balloons and then dropping them onto the living room floor.

"Blowing up balloons," he comments sarcastically. She rolled her eyes at his attitude. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Obviously I can see that. But why are you filling the room with them."

"It's Estelle's fifth birthday tomorrow and she likes balloons."

"You could've gotten like a few on a string. Why so many?"

"Because Goddess Estelle deserves the best, Annabeth." He ties another one and drops it to the floor with a sigh. "Can you help me?"

"It's three in the morning. I want to sleep. Some of us don't nap all day."

"It's my vacation!" He exclaims.

"Keep it down, would you? You're gonna wake her up before the surprise is done."

He only sighs then, blowing into a pink balloon. She decides that she won't sleep with him out here and sits next to him. He offers a balloon to her, and she shoves his hand away.

"Please?"

"This was your idea. I'm only here to get sleep." She slowly closes her eyes and lays against his shoulder. He smiles softly as she sighs sleepily.

Her eyes drift open again to find Percy asleep, leaning against her softly, using her head as his pillow. Checking the clock, she sees that it's only five. Two hours of sleep is all she got. Five if you count the whole night. Not too shabby, especially since neither sleep consisted of demigod dreams and nightmares of Tartarus. She still got those occasionally, but she coped better now knowing that Percy would be there when she woke. She looked over the small living room, floor to ceiling, only to realize it would be nearly impossible to maneuver. The balloons at least went up to her knees on the ground, and she was curious as to where Percy got the helium tank to cover the ceiling with balloons as well. 

She also wondered how much money her husband had spent on this project. Balloons weren't always cheap. The more she thought about it, the more she didn't want to know. As long as it made Estelle happy, it would be fine.

"What do you think?" Percy asked groggily, stirring next to her as she shifted. She cursed herself for doing so and not letting him sleep longer.

"I think that this will take forever to clean up and I'm not helping."

"I hadn't thought of that. This is why you typically do the planning, isn't it?"

"It is. And now you're dealing with the consequences of your own awful ideas. Did you even let your parents know?"

His eyes suddenly went from a sleepy squint, to wide, ready to burst.

"They're gonna kill me."

"It's possible."

"I need to leave now. I'll stay at camp so that way they can't visit me."

"That's an idea, but good luck getting to the door without popping a balloon and waking them."

He frowns at that. "Dam it. You're right."