6

Miranda woke up, the soft morning light showing through her curtains. She blinked away the rest of her sleep before rubbing her eyes. Recollection set in that today was, in fact, her birthday. She was 18 today. She wasn't overly excited, but she felt joy with the gift she knew she was going to receive from her mom and dad.

It was really the one day when she didn't feel invisible. She got up and looked through her closet. She decided on a black suspenders flare skater skirt, and she placed a short sleved white shirt on the inside. She lotioned her legs before putting on her black and white converses.

Taking the rollers out of her hair, she fluffed her hair and admired the curls. After she was complete, she made her way downstairs.

"Good morning, Birthday girl !" Elena exclaimed her eyes, shining with joy.

"Good morning, Mama,"

"Happy 18th," her mother chimed.

"Happy birthday, baby girl," William smiled, pulling her into a hug and kissing her head.

"Thanks, Daddy and Momma."

"We have something for you," Elena said as she flipped a pan cake.

William moved to the hall closet before he sat a beautifully wrapped gift on the table, adorned with a bow. "Open it!"

Eagerly, Miranda untied the ribbon and unwrapped the package, revealing a sleek, new laptop. "No, you guys didn't!"

"A powerbook 180. This is so new. The first brand of laptops. You know they began making them two years ago. Nobody has these. "Wow! This is amazing. Thank you so much!"

"You deserve it, honey," Elena said, beaming with pride. "We know how much you love your studies and how dedicated you are to becoming a doctor. we figured this would help you on your path to success."

Miranda hugged her parents tightly, her heart overflowing with gratitude. "I love it! It's perfect."

She knew this laptop cost over three thousand dollars.
"Here's you breakfast, sweetie,"

Miranda ate breakfast with her parents before grabbing her book bag and going outside.

"Happy birthday, Miranda." Ben sung coming out of the house.

"Thank you, Benjamin," Miranda smiled, turning to look at the three things he had in his hand. "Are those for me?" She teased.

"The one and only," he smiled, handing her the bouquet of pink roses.

Miranda smelled them and blushed. "Okay, here, which one do you want next?" Ben asked, holding a picture frame and a box with a purple bow on it.

"The box." She pointed.

"Okay, how about this. You open the box, and I'll read what's on this frame."

"Deal," Miranda smiled giddy as he handed her the box.

Miranda opened the box and gasped at the 14.k white gold necklace. It was a double change with a bar on each one. One bar was thicker than the other.
"Ben, it's beautiful."

Ben smiled and began to read.

"Miranda, my dear friend, so true,
Whose presence in my life, like morning dew,
We met one day, beneath a tree's embrace,
Nine years have passed, our friendship's grace.

She sat there, lost in pages of a book,
Curiosity sparked, I couldn't help but look,
A girl with a spirit, wild and free,
Little did I know, she'd change the world for me.

Through childhood's adventures, side by side,
We laughed, we cried, in life's joyful ride,
Exploring the world, hand in hand,
Miranda, my compass, always there to understand.