CHAPTER 1: SYDNEY'S BAD NIGHT

Start from the beginning

If I'm honest, the double betrayal broke me. You see, my ex bestie, sister, cousin Kris ended up sleeping with and then carrying on an affair with Rob behind my back.  Making me look like a complete fool.  What is worse is that Kris and I had the same friends, since we were in the same grade, and of course all my girl friends knew about the affair, and kept her secret for her.

Pretty much all I have now is my brother Jay, and my dad. I don't want friends who stab me in the back. They all have begged me to forgive them, they told me they didn't want to hurt me, and didn't know what to do. But that's not good enough for me.  Jay and my dad are all I need.  I know my brother and dad won't ever stab me in the back.

If it wasn't bad enough that Rob and Kris carried on an affair, now they are so in love, and engaged to be married. And get this my aunt really has her heart set on me to come to their wedding.   I am trying so hard to not let my hate for my cousin show to my aunt.  I don't want to hurt my aunt.  She has been so good to me, and always been there for me.

I have tried going over a list of pros and cons about taking this new job. I have gone back and forth and picked up the phone so many times to call and turn down the job.  But my brother Jay has stopped me.  He thinks that I should not give up my dream, that I worked too hard to be a cop, and I should give it one more chance.  If it doesn't work out, then I can do something else with my life.  He and my dad are lawyer's in the same firm, and told me that I always have a job with them if I want it.

Jay was not very happy with me, and neither was my dad, when they found out about all the bullying and abuse I was getting from the other officer's.  Upset that I didn't let them know that it was happening.  But I didn't for a reason. I knew that Jay would lose his temper and go down there and start a fight, and what good is that going to do. Not only cause me problems at work with the guys that I have to work with, but also possibly get Jay in trouble with the law, and disbarred.  Same goes for my dad.  I chose to ignore it and not tell them.

I had an initial phone interview with my new Captain.  He sounds like a really nice guy, and my old Captain assured me he was a good man. Ran a good program.  The program is undercover, for young looking officers who go into high schools, and colleges, and the whole idea of this unit, is to try and stop the teenagers when they are young, before they become more dangerous criminals, instead of just petty crimes, stop them from becoming serious felonies.  Sounds like a really good program, and that is one of the pro's to taking this job. I wanted to make a difference, in the community. This would be a way to do that. 

Another pro  is that when he was telling me about his unit, he told me that I would not be the only woman.  That did make me feel better.  He also assured me that his officer's got along well with her, and that they were all good guys, respectful and I would not have any of the problems that I had at my old unit.  He said that his friend filled him in on what all I had to go through, and he assured me that would not be the case at this unit.  His officers were all like family.

Which brings me to why I am sitting here alone. Tonight, has been bad. It started the minute I left my apartment.

 My brother knew I was nervous about starting my new job, and also, he and my dad think that I need to get out of the house. Instead of just staying in my house, and not ever going anywhere. I tell them that I am fine, and that I actually do go places, thank you very much.  But they say it doesn't count if I am just going over to dad's house to fix dinner. or to the grocery store or to their law office.

They are starting to nag me on it, but I don't let them know that it irritates me, because I know that they are just worried about me.

To shut my brother up, I agreed to go out with him tonight.  He thought it would do me good, to just go out to a bar, have a nice dinner, and maybe a few drinks to unwind.  He has been trying to get me to come out with him and his girlfriend for a few months, but I really was not in the mood to go anywhere. He told me this new bar was great, and had great food, cheap happy hour drinks, and that on Thursday nights the food special was Monterrey's with queso and chips and salsa. Mexican food is my favorite. He knew that so he kept showing me pictures of their food, and telling me how good it is. He talked me into it, but now I'm wishing that I would have told him I couldn't make it.