Chapter 15: Happy

Mika's POV: 

~ Imperial Demon Army Headquarters ~

I wake up and see Kimiko conversing with some humans, who were previously pointing weapons at her. I try to rise, but one of the humans with Yuu gestures for me to stay down. My eyes involuntarily close, and I slip back into a state of weak sleep. Upon awakening again, the humans, who had once aimed weapons at Kimiko, are now talking to her calmly.

"W-w-what's going on?" I ask, slowly sitting up.

"Oh no, Mika, you're awake. How long has it been since you had Krul's blood?" Kimiko inquires.

"About a week, maybe. I haven't had any since we arrived here," I respond. "Why? What's happening?" I inquire, sitting up straighter.

"The guards, once they realize the vampires are gone, will investigate every room in the city to find them. You must leave before that," the purple-haired girl says before departing with the rest of the group of humans.

"Okay, Kyato, thank you for helping us," Kimiko says, hugging the bright red-haired boy. Once the humans leave, Kimiko and I are the only ones left in the room. I attempt to stand up but am too weak and fall. "Damn it!" I exclaim.

"Don't try to get up, Mika. You're too weak. We need to stay here. You've lost a lot of blood," Kimiko advises.

"Well, what am I supposed to do? We need to get you out of here now," I respond.

"No, we both need to get out of here. You know what happens if we run low on blood," Kimiko insists.

"I know, I know, we both do," I reply, worried about our situation. Kimiko walks over to me and sits on the bed. I look at her, and I feel an overwhelming hunger for blood. "I can't focus on anything but blood. I don't think I've ever been this hungry. I wouldn't even complain about drinking your blood." As soon as the words escape me, I realize I should have stopped myself. Kimiko looks at me, as if she has a brilliant idea.

"Why don't we try it? Come on, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Plus, we could both have enough strength to get out of here," she suggests with a slight smile. "No, we can't. It's wrong? It's wrong, right?" I say, confused. Before I can say anything else, Kimiko leans down, elongating her fangs, and bites down on her wrist, causing blood to flow. I can barely resist. "I'm sorry," I whisper before I grab her wrist and taste her blood. Her blood is rich, sweet, thick. Lost in the moment, I never realize how much I take from her until she suddenly falls to the side of the bed. I quickly try to catch her. "I helped you, that's all that matters," she smiles before falling into a deep sleep.

I then sit in the chair next to her and watch her closely. She's okay. We're both safe and okay.

For once in my life right now, I feel at peace.

I feel happy...

Yuu's POV: 

~ Yuu's Bedroom ~

"Okay, Kimiko, I'm ba-" I get cut off upon seeing that Mika is no longer in bed, and Kimiko is there instead.

"Is she okay?" I ask, confused.

"She's fine," Mika says.

"How are you standing?" I inquire.

"Kimiko helped me," he says seriously, giving Kimiko an intense stare.

What does he mean by that? What happened to them? I need to get past all of this and tell him our plan.

"Mika, our plan is happening tonight, okay? You and Kimiko are leaving," I say, speaking to Mika and catching him up on the plans that my team and Kimiko came up with. Kimiko wakes up in the bed. She yawns and stretches her arms. "Hey, guys," she says.

"You're okay, right?" Mika asks nervously.

"Other than the usual, I'm fine," she responds, and Mika nods.

"The usual what?" I ask, bewildered by their conversation.

"Yeah, well, since Mika and I have chosen to resist human blood and still age, we are part human and vampire. But our bodies wish otherwise, leading to a lingering pain of hunger and desire, feeling a never-ending burn inside," Kimiko explains with a slight smile.

"If it pains you so much, how do you resist, and why do you smile?" I question.

"Well, being in this state of life was not something I chose or am happy about. But feeling this pain reminds me that I haven't completely given up my humanity. Enduring this pain is the right decision of being 'human' or in the middle, that I haven't given up on life," she says.

"If only I hadn't run, you guys wouldn't be like this," I speak, feeling my anger rise quickly. Kimiko stands and puts her hand on my shoulder. "If you hadn't run, you would have either died or ended up like us. There was nothing else you could have done," she says, smiling once again.

"The past cannot be changed; we will remain like this until we die, as you will remain human," Mika adds. Kimiko gives Mika a disappointed look and says, "Mika, why do you always make things so depressing?" She laughs, and I join her.

I look at my family and wish we could always be like this, I wish we could laugh and be happy together. But nothing is perfect in a world like this.

"I'm so sorry that we have to go, Yuu. I wish we could stay," Kimiko says. "It's okay. At least we have this moment," I say and smile.

If only life were different, we could have been a family again, we...

Could have been happy...

Kimiko's POV: 

~ Yuu's Bedroom ~

"So when do we leave, Yuu?" I question.

"You guys are leaving tonight when the guards are least active," Yuu says.

"How long will it be until that time?" Mika asks.

"Several more hours," Yuu responds.

"We will be ready by then," I reply, lying back down on Yuu's bed.

I really hope that we're in our right minds when we finally get out of here. I just want everyone to be safe.

And happy...

~ Comment! Vote! Read! ~