Locked inside a heart shaped box

Start from the beginning

'Happy birthday to the one that I adore I got you something special'

You slowly open the box and find a big pink human heart. You make a disgusted sound and quickly drop the box on the ground. You take a few steps back as you try to process what's going on. You know it has to be Ghostface. But who's heart is it? You take a deep breath and regain your composure somewhat. You walk back over to the box and find the heart laying on the porch ground. You find another note taped to the inside of the lid of the box. You pick up the note and open it.

'I guess his heart wasn't black, but it is cold and dead'

You take a step back and look at the heart again. It's not covered in blood and it looks fresh, almost like someone ripped it out of a body, washed off the blood and put it directly here. Ghostface doesn't even have to say his name, you know exactly where he got this heart. You're so deep in thought you only notice Herbert is standing behind you when he puts a hand on your shoulder. You jump and turn around to look at him.

You two stand there for a moment just looking at each other in silence. You notice Herbert glancing at the heart on the ground.

"I have a lot to explain and I think we should do something about this before anyone else finds out. Can we talk in your room?" You feel yourself starting to shake as Herbert looks from you to the heart.

"Grab the box and meet me in the basement. Lucky for you Hannibal keeps latex gloves in the kitchen." He replies in his usual monotone voice.

"Is it um. Is it his heart?" You don't even have to say his name for anyone here to know who you're talking about. Looking back over at the heart you remember you never quite found out just what happened to the body. You look back to the doorway and Herbert is gone. You pick up the box and put the note inside. Herbert soon returns wearing gloves and he picks up the heart.

You two wordlessly walk downstairs and into his room. It's a mostly tidy space with two large work tables full of medical and chemistry equipment. A mini fridge sits near both of them. You set the box on one of the tables and Herbert sets the heart on a petri dish.

"I can assure you that this isn't actually a human heart, it's a pig's heart. They look similar and have been used in heart transplants before but it's not a human heart. His body was also mostly donated to a local farm couple who found use for 'meat scraps'. Even if his heart was still intact it wouldn't look so fresh after all of this time. In fact this pig must have been slaughtered within 24 hours and kept on ice until it was brought here." You nod and run a hand over your face.

"What do you mean his body was mostly donated?" Herber puts on his lab coat and picks up the heart.

"I have some more unethical experiments I perform that require freshly deceased specimens. Your, and I'm using Normans words here, scum sucking miserable joke of a life ex boyfriend, just so happened to be a perfect specimen," He replies, looking over the heart, "Now would you care to explain how a pig heart in a candy box showed up on our doorstep?"

"Well awhile ago I ran into the Ghostface killer and he's found my number somehow and he's been stalking and harassing me and I'm just so scared. I have only told you and Carrie and I'm begging you to not tell anyone else about this." You plead with him, taking a seat in a nearby chair. Herbert stays silent as he pulls out a styrofoam container and fills it with something before adding the heart inside.

"Well I thought you'd enjoy having a serial killer stalking you considering you live with eleven murders. Also I saw the type of romance books you kept in your luggage when you first came here. I never understood why someone would enjoy reading a romance about a main character being kidnapped by a large masked man or monster-" You scoff loudly and cut him off, "I'm just saying that maybe you're not as afraid of Ghostface as you think you are. Maybe you're just waiting for him to come and give you that dark romance treatment."