chapter 2.

"anyone here for jj maybank?" the doctor calls.

"yes! yes us" john b says, standing up straight.

"i'm aware you've been here for a few hours now, but jj has finally woken up and you can go see him" the doctor says.

"is he okay?" pope says.

"he has a concussion and a broken leg. but he's gonna be fine" the doctor says.

they all sigh in relief before walking towards the door. kie gets his phone out and looks at the voicemail notification on his phone.

"jj! dude!" john b says, a little loud, as they walk into the room.

"okay i get that it's amazing seeing me but remember it's a hospital" jj says.

john b chuckles as he carefully hugs jj.

kie stands, leant against the doorframe as everyone greets jj.

"we were so worried about you" sarah says as she gently hugs her brother.

charlie stands behind pope as he hugs jj.

"good to see you.. alive?" charlie says.

everyone chuckles until jj looks at the doorframe and sees kie standing there, causing them to make eye contact.

"erm, we'll go find you some food or something" sarah says.

"yeah" pope says as he follows sarah and john b out with charlie, leaving just kie and jj.

"if you don't want me here i can go" kie says.

jj shakes his head, but doesn't say anything.

"uh, i have your phone" she says, passing him it. "peterkin, found it"

"thanks" he says, taking the phone out of her hand. he turns his phone on and swipes up his notifications. he furrows his eyebrows when there's none there.

"jj.. i'm.." kie starts. "i'm, so sorry. for everything. the argument and the accident, i mean, if i hadn't have rang you, you wouldn't be in a hospital bed right now" she whispers, looking at the floor.

"no, no it's fine, it's not your fault" he says.

"sorry to interrupt. just wanted to let you know you can leave tomorrow" the doctor says, standing behind kie.

"oh, great" jj sighs.

the doctor nods and walks back out of the room. then, sarah and the others come back in the room.

kie steps back as the others sit down.

jj looks at her and they hold eye contact for a few seconds before kie clears her throat.

"uh, i better get going. my dad will be worrying" she says.

jj just nods and the others awkwardly look at each other.

"bye" kie says as she walks out of the room.

sarah turns to jj. "you two didn't make up?"

jj shakes his head. "she gave me my phone and apologised. i'm not really thinking about that right now. i mean, it's hard to think about anything else when my head is throbbing and my leg is literally like.. snapped" he says.

sarah nods.
_________

after a few weeks, jj is out of hospital and fully healed. he's living with john b at the chateau. pope and charlie are still together, but kie has been practically avoiding them since she saw jj after the accident. jj and kie haven't spoken and jj still doesn't know about the voice message.

kie takes a deep breathe as she walks through the graveyard and to her mom's headstone.

"hey, mom" she starts as she lays the flowers down. "so things are like.. really bad right now. me and jj still haven't spoken and i don't think he knows about the voicemail. i just can't stop thinking about the accident. if i had never rang him it wouldn't have happened. i just can't stop thinking about how horribly things could've gone and it would've been my fault" she says, tucking her hair behind her ear. "i miss him so much but i think i need to learn to move on, because he clearly doesn't need me anymore. i just feel so empty without him. i don't feel like, me, without him."

"also, i've met dad's new girlfriend. she's nice, and she makes dad happy. her name is sophie and she's genuinely a really sweet person. she's obviously never gonna replace you or compare to you, but she treats dad well. and she's respectful with what she says and does in regards to you. she really shows that she's not trying to replace you. i just wish dad had told me sooner instead of keeping it secret for so long" she looks down.
___________

"dude, i'm really worried about kie. she's falling apart" sarah says as she hands john b a can of beer and sits down next to him round the fire.

"i haven't seen or heard from her since the accident" jj says.

"yeah cuz she thinks it was her fault" pope says.

"i've gotta admit, after that voicemail, i was convinced you two would get back together" charlie says.

jj furrows his eyebrows. "voicemail? what.. what voicemail?" he says.

the all look at him with confusion. "the one kie left you after you broke up with her?" john b says.

jj pulls out his phone.

"oh my god. you didn't know!?" sarah says.

jj gets to the voicemail and sees it was sent just after the accident. after the phone call. he clicks on it and they all listen in silence.

"hey, jj. i know you don't wanna talk to me right now but you can just listen to this and call me back when you're ready. i don't wanna fight with you and i sure as hell don't wanna break up. you've been through something unimaginable today and what you said was right, having us isn't gonna help fix what happened today. but we're all here for you and we will support you through all of this. i know you probably didn't mean what you said about me not being enough or whatever but it's totally fine, i'm not mad at all or anything. please just give me a call back okay? i don't wanna break up. i... uh.. i love you"

they all look at jj as he sits in silence, staring at his phone.

"shit" he says. "i've gotta.. i've gotta find her" he stands up, running his fingers through his hair.

he calls her but she doesn't pick up, so he sends a message.

sarah shakes her keys at him.

"do you feel okay to drive? with your leg?" she says.

he nods and holds his hands out. she tosses him the keys and he catches them and begins to walk towards the car.

"go get your girl jj!" john b calls.

"and let us know if you need anything!" sarah calls.

he gets in the car and slides the key in the engine and switches it on.

"okay" he takes a deep breathe. "okay" he says as he reverses out of the chateau drive.
___________

(1161 words)

comment and vote please!

unexpected twist coming in the next chapter. you didn't think they'd get back together that easily, did you?

see you soon- molly