Yibo opened his eyes, and Xiao Zhan reached out his hand, calling him over. Yibo moved into Xiao Zhan's embrace, leaning against his chest. Xiao Zhan's gentle pheromones gradually enveloped him. Yibo held onto Xiao Zhan tightly and said, "In case that day really comes, Zhan ge, don't let me be marked by someone else."

"I've actually thought about it. If I had to be marked, I could only accept it from you." Xiao Zhan tried to keep his voice steady and even laughed. "Ge, are you willing?"

Xiao Zhan fell silent, then said, "But that's something far, far in the future. By then, you might have found true love, and we might have divorced, and I won't be by your side during your heat period."

"It won't happen." Xiao Zhan's chin rubbed against Wang Yibo's head, and he caught a whiff of the sweet scent of figs—that was the smell of the Tree of Life's sap.

He recalled the scorching summer day many years ago.

He pushed open the door to the instructor's office, and Wang Yibo, who was tiptoeing to reach a model plane on top of a cabinet, turned around. He had just finished training, covered in sweat, with his training uniform dirty. He was fair and clean, with a pair of slim and straight legs under his shorts. Xiao Zhan walked over and helped him retrieve the model plane, saying, "I'm Xiao Zhan. The instructor is busy, so he asked me to keep you company and play for a while." Wang Yibo nodded and held the model plane, saying, "Dad told me about you. Thank you, Zhan ge." He smiled obediently at him, and the air conditioning breeze blew against his tank top, but he only felt hot.

Looking back now, that was probably the moment when he fell in love with Wang Yibo—the first time they met when Yibo was fourteen.

How strange it was that he could develop feelings for a child. But he should have realized it earlier, to express his feelings before Wang Yibo went through his split. Perhaps Wang Yibo would have liked him and eventually accepted his Omega status.

Unfortunately, there is no remedy for regrets. If you want to make do with life, you shouldn't dwell on "what if" and "I could have."

The light brought him back to reality, and Xiao Zhan lowered his gaze, saying, "I won't let anyone mark you. If you don't want it, no one can mark you."

"Including myself."

He had never said how much he cherished these moments of holding Yibo. Yibo also didn't know that he had entered his bedroom in the early morning multiple times, adjusting the air conditioning temperature or tucking him in, and then quietly hiding by the bedside to watch him for a while. Those lingering late-night gazes were just as solemn as the moment he put the diamond ring on Yibo's finger.

Wang Yibo nestled closer to Xiao Zhan's embrace - without even realizing it, Xiao Zhan held him tighter. "I promise. Yibo, no one can hurt you."

Wang Yibo was moved, at least Xiao Zhan could feel his shoulders trembling. Xiao Zhan patted his back and said, "Don't cry."

Wang Yibo shook his head and then chuckled, "I don't know why, but when you say those things, it makes me feel incredibly safe. It doesn't feel empty at all." He buried his head in Xiao Zhan's chest, his voice muffled. "Is it because you're a soldier? Because I know you're fierce in fights?"

Xiao Zhan laughed and said, "You're teasing me again. I'm being so serious, can't you show a little appreciation?"

"I'm moved, why wouldn't I be?" Wang Yibo lifted his head to look at him, then raised his hand and patted Xiao Zhan's chest. Xiao Zhan made a clicking sound and swatted his hand away, causing Wang Yibo to burst into laughter. He said, "You haven't been exercising either, how come your chest is so big? It's soft and comfortable. Let me bury myself for a while."

"You brat, hey, I'm going to hit you."

"Who are you trying to scare? If you dare hit me, I'll accuse you of domestic violence." Wang Yibo playfully buried himself in Xiao Zhan's "soft" chest, and Xiao Zhan grabbed the back of his neck and laughed, saying, "You're insane. And hey, don't breathe so heavily, it tickles, Yibo."

Wang Yibo said, "You're talking nonsense. If I don't breathe, won't I suffocate?"

Eventually, Xiao Zhan got used to it and stopped laughing, letting him lie there while Wang Yibo settled down as well. He smelled the soothing scent of cedarwood and thought, telling Xiao Zhan about his fears was it just for seeking comfort? Why did he feel scared and want to hide even after Xiao Zhan made a sincere promise?

But this fear wasn't dread, it was apprehension and restlessness, similar to the feeling when he received the watch. It wasn't about rejecting but feeling unworthy.

"Ge" he rubbed his lower leg against the bedding, as if lying in a cold cedar forest after the rain, gradually overcome by drowsiness. He asked Xiao Zhan, "Can you keep holding me like this until I fall asleep?"

"Mhm." Xiao Zhan actually disliked Wang Yibo being so polite. He arranged Wang Yibo's pillow, turned off the light, and then embraced him, saying, "Sleep now."

Wang Yibo gazed into the dense darkness, unable to see Xiao Zhan's face, but he didn't feel his back cooling down either. He softly asked, "Will I be a burden to you?"

"Hmm?"

"I haven't been able to control my pheromones recently, they might leak out" Wang Yibo said somewhat embarrassedly. "I'm afraid it will make you uncomfortable..."

"Don't worry, I received professional pheromone blocking training in the military" Xiao Zhan reassured him with a pat on the back. "Unless I want to, your pheromones won't affect me. I won't take advantage of you while you're asleep."

Wang Yibo pursed his lips. "I'm worried about making you uncomfortable, not about that."

"I know," Xiao Zhan said. "I was just joking. Don't get worked up, sleep now."

The room fell into silence, enveloped in the strong scent of cedarwood with a subtle hint of fig. With his eyes closed, Wang Yibo said, "Goodnight, Zhan ge."

"Goodnight, Yibo."

His gaze was like water, silently and hopefully nourishing him in the darkness, longing to show him the blue sky, and the world, and have conversations with free-flying birds. But he only wanted to hide in the dark corner, not even lifting his head.