Chapter 30, Dad Finds Out

DAD FINDS OUT

I wake up thirty minutes before my alarm clock. Closing my eyes, I stay on my bed, lying on my back, listening to the sounds of New York City before too many people wake up. I arch my back, stretch, and begin to sit up, feeling every little segment of my spine bend, so that at last, I am sitting upright on my bed.

I stand up. Today is the day, I tell myself. But what exactly makes it special? a second quiet, but more cynical voice asks in my head.

Just then, my phone, lying across the room at my desk, chirps a beep, letting me know that someone has sent me a text. I power it on and see that Arya has just sent me a text. My heart flutters even before I have a chance to read it.

Arya has texted:

Morning, alie

Good luck today

I can't wait to see you! Coming by your house soon

My heart fills, and I feel as if it will burst with love. Oh, I know what I'm performing for today. I'm not performing to tell the world I'm gay. No, I'm performing to tell Arya that I truly, truly love her.

Arya and I are carpooling, so that's great. I get ready to wait at the apartment complex entrance for Arya's mother to pick me up, but my dad taps my shoulder. I whirl around to look at him.

"Alie?... This lady, Elena Verona, emailed me that you have some kind of performance today?"

What the heck. That is my reaction. Then it sinks in. Arya must have told her mother to email my dad about the performance. But how did they get my dad's email address?

"Yeah..." I say unsuredly. I will have to text Arya, or maybe speak to her on the ride to the competition. I wonder what exactly they said in that email.

I try to reassure myself: They can't have said much more than that we are performing Bohemian Rhapsody today at Casper Orion Theater. And is there much harm in that? Dad knew that I've been practicing Bohemian Rhapsody and I do things related to band at school.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Dad opens the door out of our apartment. "Is it—is it that you don't trust me?" He looks truly sorrowful.

"No, no it's not that—" I begin saying, but the earnest concern in his eyes touches me.

"Tell me the truth."

My dad supported me over my mother when I said I was gay. I can trust him. I can trust him.

It is so hard. This is against everything—everything that I have ever known. "Okay."

It comes pouring out. How we've been practicing every day at school for this competition. When I tell him that we're playing Bohemian Rhapsody, specifically, he nods. I think he understands why Bohemian Rhapsody is special to me.

Dad puts his hand on my shoulder stiffly. It's definitely not a natural action and we both feel the awkwardness. "Will you allow me to watch your performance?"

Just then, my mother comes out of the bathroom with her lips red-lipped. "We're going to film with the Deerbys and..." She looks at my father with surprise. "What are you doing? Are you going to the library with her?"

I had told Mom that I would be going to the library.

Dad frowns, confused. "No, we're going to Alie's saxophone competition. Alie and her saxophone group from school are going to perform a piece for some judges, and they invite parents to spectate. Marley, I think you should come too."

This—this is so totally unexpected. Yesterday we were screaming at each other, and today my parents are going to watch me proclaim my gayness everywhere. Say what.

Of course, my mother brings things back to Earth. "If you go, Stan, then I have to watch Sam. Dammit, now I have to cancel with the Deerbys," she muttered.

"And also, I don't care," she spits. "What sunshine-y songs are they playing? Is it a band for gay people like her? Let the weirdos play, Stan, and don't bother watching them. Don't you dare go with Alie."

It doesn't mean anything, though, I try to calm myself. We're not a bunch of weirdos. Don't let her get to you. Don't let her get to you.

"Marley...." says Dad, but she keeps frowning. He opens his mouth, closes it it, then opens once more, like a clam. He turns to look at me. "Alie, I'm coming with you. I want to hear you play." Then he drags my mother's hand. She protests, and they have an huge argument with their eyes. "She is our daughter," he says finally. "Our child."

My mom just glares. This is the first time in my memory that my dad has won an argument. 

And we turn to go to meet the Veronas in their car. 

Author's Note: Dear readers! I hope you've enjoyed this chapter! I was a bit busy studying for finals in the past week or so, so I will finally be responding to comments today :) 

Please vote! If you vote, it will help the story be seen by more people.

Please comment any questions, feedback, or comments that you have! 

-Tara