Chapter 15, Sam Leashes Me

SAM LEASHES ME

"Sam, you will escort her to school on a leash," orders Mom as she bites into an apple. She wipes her mouth with a hand lined with long, manicured nails. I seethe with anger.

"Sure, Ma," says Sam as he walks into the kitchen area, holding his phone. He's watching some video of a girl with a lot of makeup singing into a hairbrush. He rumples his hair.

Sam is so bad. I wish Tom was my brother... he was such a personality match, but his romantic feelings were so awkward! Honestly, is all romance awkward? How do lovers do it?

"You will hold her hand all the time. Walk on the inside or outside of the block; it doesn't matter. Don't let her run off. Walk her to her first period class, watch her sit down, then go to your own class. You hear me?" Mom stares at me, her lined eyes blazing. "You're not getting off easy this time. If I see that boy again I'm going to...."

I wish she told me what she was going to do. Now I will forever imagine horrors.

As soon as we leave the house, I dash ahead of Sam. "Alie! Little f*!" He bursts out laughing. "YOU HEARD MOM! YOU'RE MY LITTLE PUPPY ON A LEASH!" He stops walking and pulls out his phone and starts taping me.

I run all the way to the school, fueled by my rage. Suddenly, I hear a sound signaling a text message received.

Mom: Sam said you ran away from him

Mom: When you come home there will be consequences

Mom: Don't you dare do it again

Mom: [angry face]

I see that Sam, with all his athleticism, is still far behind me. I take the opportunity to run to my first class. All through the morning, all is good.

Until in the hallway, somehow I bump into Sam. Curse (sorry Arya) my luck, am I right? "Hey, Al," he says casually. "Let's talk..."

"Heeey, Sammie!" squeals a short girl with short blonde hair and an overly-made up face.

"Heeey, darlin'," he slurs. I don't know why, but it makes me want to scream.

"Is that your girlfriend?" I squeak.

"Yeah, my comforter girl after my break with Hannah. There's this cute girl named Sara, though, I had a confidential tip-off that she liked me." Sara! I feel so bad for Arya. Having a sister who could actually adore Sam, the ultimate brainless jock?

"You have nothing to talk about?" I stand straight and start slowly walking away.

"Oh yeah," he says, his eyes clearing. His face takes on a dumb but cynical gaze. "Yeah, Mom called me to take away your books and library cards."

Instantly, I protest. How does he dare?! I exclaim in my head. They are my books! It is my right! "Never!" I say, trying to sound impassioned, but instead I sound weak.

"Why do you care? You're always so stuck into books. Books that will do nothing. It's like books are your only friends. Yeah, you have no friends. You're a real loser," he says. He seems to relish his words. "You're no good at anything."

"Like you're good at football," I say, trying to make it a strong retort.

He just laughs, his face contorted in a painful way. Is that really what laughter is for him? Laughing at his sister? "Yeah! I'll get into an Ivy for it! My coach said I'm really talented!"

There's something about that stupid, lazy expression on my face. My words have all failed. I am tired of being the placator. I choose my fist instead.

*****