8

Happy reading!
~~~~~~
What? Thomas stared into space for a moment, You heard me.

Minho pursed his lips and Thomas could see the wheels turning in his head as he was trying to decide what to say. Thomas wasn't surprised when he settled for the humorous option, "And you're figuring this out now?" Was it that obvious?

"You need to get better at comforting your friends."

"Probably," Minho chuckled. "But don't overthink it, 'kay? I don't know what part about it is bothering you, but just know that liking boys is fine. Shuck, dude, I like a guy."

"Yeah, I think I got that bit." I like a boy.

"So you're not bothered by that?"

Thomas almost shook his head, "I don't know? I think it may be more of the fact that it's Newt." I like Newt.

Minho nodded as if he was trying to understand, "What bothers you about liking Newt?"

Thomas blinked at him, "I don't know if you forgot, but he's in a coma right now."

"Yeah? And?"

"What if he doesn't wake up!"

Minho patted him on the shoulder, "Thomas, he is gonna wake up."

"Sure, but that doesn't mean he feels the same."

Minho gave him a look that made Thomas feel queasy. Like there was something more he knew. He turned to the sea, the beginning storm drops sliding down his face, "You won't know unless you tell him." Thomas watched him swallow anxiously, "Uhm, can we go inside to talk about this?" His voice wavered.

Thomas' ever-pricking curiosity sparked inside of him, but he didn't let it win yet, "Yeah, let's go."

Minho had a bigger tent than most of the rest Thomas had seen, and he guessed that the Asian boy must've been sharing with Gally. The other wasn't in there when they arrived. Thomas watched Minho flinch at the thunder that boomed from outside, he clenched his hands and his jaw, forcing his eyes shut for just a moment.

After regaining his composure, he asked hoarsely, "Did you have something else to talk about?"

Thomas bit the inside of his cheek, "Well, before I had... whatever that was, I was going to ask about you and Gally. But I got that answered -" he muttered a 'kind of' under his breath "- already, so..."

Minho just nodded, his face began to look paler, sicker, and he sat himself down on one of the cots that had been pushed together.

Thomas sat beside him, and it was his turn to rub Minho's shoulder, "Are you okay?"

His voice sounded dry, "Better than ever."

"Is it the storm?"

Minho's usually positive demeanor turned cold, "What do you think?" He rubbed his face, "Sorry, it's just- you were there. Do you not remember or something?"

Oh. The lightning. The Scorch Trials. Phase Two. It hadn't even crossed Thomas' mind that Minho could've been so deeply affected by it. Thomas remembered the storm, the group fighting their way into the city - to safety. He remembered barely being able to see, watching flashes of his friends falling, getting back up, and watching Minho get struck. It made Thomas hate himself; how could he spend so much time worrying about himself and his problems, and not even take the time to think about all his friends had been through? He quickly stopped himself - he was doing it again.

"Of course, I remember. I'm sorry, Minho. I wish I could help," Thomas recovered his voice, and tried to comfort him. "It won't get you here, I promise."

"You can't promise something like that, Thomas."

"I can try?"

Minho chuckled and Thomas hoped that what he was doing would work. "Say whatever you want, Greenie, but it's not gonna change anything."

"Oh, come on. You cannot seriously be calling me that right now."

Thomas earned a bit more of a laugh, "You know, you were never much of a joker, but you're not half-bad now. And no, I don't think anyone is planning on stopping anytime soon."

He laughed along with Minho, "Well some people have stopped. Now it's mostly you and Gally."

Minho smiled and Thomas felt a little victorious, "We are the best power couple."

The two were full-on laughing at this point, bent over and clutching their stomachs. Thomas didn't remember laughing as hard as he did then. The moment was half-ruined when Gally entered, soaking and disheveled;

"Minho, are you- oh. Hey, Greenie."

The 'Greenie' comment only caused another outburst of laughter from the boys sitting on the cot. Gally looked extremely confused, which made the moment all the more humorous. It took another second, but soon Gally was laughing with them, something Thomas didn't even know he could do.

Yeah, they were okay.

Thomas stayed there until dinner, chatting casually with his friends. When they got to the dining hall, Thomas overheard some gardeners gossiping excitedly about the rain. The room felt warm and happy, making Thomas' smile last. He gave Minho and Gally some space, instead plopping down beside Stephanie in front of the counter. She seemed to be enjoying herself as well, despite her drenched hair and clothes. A grin wore itself on her face, and she sat up a little taller.

"Hey, Steph," Thomas called as he sat down.

She snapped out of staring into space, "Hey, Thomas!" Peppier too.

"Anything new going on?" Oh, Thomas. Always curious.

He watched her face heat up, "Building in the rain is hard, but it went well during the drizzle. And... I asked her out today." Thomas didn't need her to say who - he already knew it was Rosa. He gave her a look that said, 'Then what?' "She said yes! Obviously."

"Oh, right. Obviously. Because everyone wants to go out with you," Thomas snickered and she laughed.

"Yes! That's exactly right. So smart, you are, Thomas." She patted him on the shoulder and returned to her dinner.

Thomas didn't know what combination of words could possibly describe how amazing he felt that these teenagers - the ones who had been through so much - were finally starting to feel real, true joy. He couldn't say the exact same for himself, as part of him was in an interminable sleep, but seeing everyone so happy made him happy. He knew they would never have normal lives, but they could get pretty close.

The bliss lasted long after, and soon Thomas found himself sitting in that chair, not caring about the discomfort. Newt was before him in the dim lighting, as beautiful as ever. Thomas almost felt embarrassed, but he talked anyway. He talked and talked and talked about nearly everything that had happened that day, leaving out the bit about his crisis. He talked about Sam informing him about comas. He talked about Minho and Gally, even if they wouldn't have wanted him to. He talked about how Gally may finally be beginning to like him. He talked about Steph, and how Rosa accepted her request. He talked for nearly an hour until his eyes couldn't bear to stay open, and he yawned more than conversated.

Thomas fell asleep early that night - he'd had a big, big day.
~~~~~~
Gally was worried about his bf 🥺

How was it? ->

Errors? Let me know where you find them!

Suggestions? ->

Stay perfect everyone <3