Chapter 24

Nine years later

I woke up to the feeling of someone burying their face in my chest. I slowly opened my eyes and looked down to see Echo hugging me. I turned my head and held back a groan as I saw that it was 1 in the morning. I closed my eyes again and pulled Echo closer to my chest.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" Echo mumbled as I turned to look back down at him.

"No."

He gave a small nod and I ran my fingers down his back and drew patterns on his back.

"Did you have a bad dream again?" I asked as I stared down at him.

"Yea."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"You... you and the others died." He explained as he tightened his grip on me.

"Echo... I have no plans to die anytime soon." I said as I placed a kiss onto the top of his head.

"I know but... with us on the run from the empire.. I worry." He said as he stared up at me.

"It's going to be okay. I promise I'm not going anywhere. I love you all to much to leave you guys again." I said as I smiled down at him.

"I love you too." He said as he leaned up and captured my lips in a gentle kiss.

There was a knock on the door and we pulled apart. Echo rolled off of me as I set up and rubbed my eyes.

"Come in!" I called out.

The door opened and I watched as Tech walked into the room.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked as he stood at the door.

"We have a mission. Senator Bail Organa contacted us. It appears... his daughter is missing." He explained.

"What?" I asked in shock.

I jumped to my feet and grabbed my armor, slipping it on over my clothes.

Who would take Leia? She's just a child, why would anyone want her? Fear was coursing thru me as a hundred different scenarios passed thru my mind. I had sworn to protect Leia, if anything happened to her, I'd never forgive myself.

The trip to Alderaan felt like it took us years, and when I arrived I could hardly breath. Bail was waiting for us with his wife, who looked like a wreck.

"I'll be back, you guys stay here." I ordered as I walked past them.

I made my way up to him and he instantly greeted me with a small nod.

"What happen?" I asked with a frown.

"She was kidnapped by bounty hunters. We found one dead. I've already contacted Obi-wan... but he hasn't messaged me back since he located her. I wouldn't ask for your help but-"

"It's okay, I understand. I'll find her, I promise." I said as I sent him a smile.

If Obi-wan was looking for her, then that meant the Bad Batch couldn't help me. I couldn't get them involved with any of this.

"So, where are we heading?" Hunter asked as I walked up to them.

"I am going to look for Leia... I need you all to stay here and watched over Bail and his family."

"Hold on, there is no way that you are going on your own!" Crosshair snapped as he glared down at me.

"I'm afraid I don't have much choice... there is things happening that... it's better for you to not know anything about. If I'm correct... this is far to dangerous for any of you and I would never forgive myself if I dragged you with me."

"You promised... you swore that you wouldn't leave again." Echo said as he stared down at me. "Do not push us onto the side, we are a family."

"That's why I'm doing this, Echo... because I would never forgive myself if I allowed any of you to come with me... please.. stay here." I pleaded.

"Okay, just... come back to us."

"I will." I said as I gave Hunter a kiss to the cheek.

I felt eyes on me and turned to see Omega staring at me, tears in her eyes. I walked up to her and placed my hands on her shoulder.

She had grown so much, she was almost my height. Her hair was longer and she was a skilled fighter like her brothers.

"Mega... I'll come back." I said as I cuffed her cheeks.

"What if you don't? I don't want to lose you, Buir."

"No matter what happens know that.. you will never lose me. I will always be with you, right here." I said as I tapped her chest.

I quickly pulled her into a hug as I felt a single tear stream down my face.

Something told me that.. this would be the last hug I'd ever give her. That this would be the last time I held my little girl in my arms and I hated it. I hated that I knew I had to leave, I had to help Obi-wan and I had to do it alone.

It wasn't that I didn't trust them with the knowledge of Obi-wan being alive, it was that I knew it would put them in danger and put them at odds with the Empire again and I couldn't allow it, I wouldn't allow it.

I gave all of them a hug and a kiss before climbing onto a shuttle, Bail had one ready and waiting for me, and taking off. The last message send to Bail came from Jabiim, which was where I was heading.