Chapter 12

Angst, Childbirth, Character Death

When Bail arrived at the house I knew that some thing had happened. I followed him to a ship, and then I was taken to Naboo. When we arrived he led me to Padme, who was on a medical table. My heart sank as I rushed to her side and took her hand in mine.

I'll never forget how pale Padme looked, she could hardly catch her breath that day. It felt like a dream as I stared down at her and watched as she set there in pain. I could do nothing but sit and watch as my sister died in front of my very own eyes.

"You... came." She gasped out.

"Of course... you're my sister, why wouldn't I come?" I asked with a gentle smile.

I wanted to be strong for her, I didn't want her to see me cry. I didn't want Padme to know that she was dying, but a part of me knew that... she knew her death was coming... and that she was trying to hold it all together for her child.

She let out a sigh and gave me a faint smile as she laid her head back. I heard the door open and looked up to see Obi-wan, a frown on his face. Obi-wan walked up to us and took her other hand.

"Don't give up, Padme. We need you to be strong for your children." Obi-wan said softly.

Padme winced from the pain and then I heard crying. I turned as I saw the medic holding a baby, which I instantly took from the medic.

"It's a boy." I said as I held him in my arms and smiled down at her.

Padme's eyes softened as tears streamed down her face.

"I'll call him Luke..." She said with a faint smile

Luke already looked so much like his parents. My heart nearly shattered as I saw some of his father in him. Luke would follow in his father's footsteps, he'd become a powerful Jedi and.. he'd do what I was unable to do.

I watched as she struggled to touch Luke on the forehead. Another sharp pain hit her and she closed her eyes. I heard another cry and turned to see the droid holding another baby. I handed Luke over to Obi-wan and took the girl from the medic.

"..and a girl."

"Leia." She said thru tears.

Leia was a spitting image of her mother. Though she would grow up to have her father's fire and spirit. She'd be a leader and would lead many people to victory.

"They are beautiful, Padme." I whispered as I sent her a smile.

I'll never forget the happiness I felt upon holding them both in my arms. I'd never forget how in that moment, I had been their aunt, I had been the woman who loved and cherished their parents... but I knew that it would be short lived. I knew that I wouldn't be able to be in their lives, no matter how much I longed for it.

"Thank you." She said softly.

"I don't know if you can hear me, Padme. You have given birth to healthy twins." Obi-wan said as he held Luke in his arms.

Padme struggled to speak, her voice was barely above a whisper.

"Take care... of them. I beg you." She pleaded.

"No harm shall befall them. I swear it." He said with a frown.

"I could have... saved him, but... I was weak." She said as she shut her eyes.

"It's not your fault or mine, Padme. Anakin chose his own path. We all tried to reach him and reason with him."

Padme winced once more and reached up to take Obi-Wan's hand in hers. I saw something in her hand and froze up, it was Anakin's japor snippet, the one he had given to her.

"I can't... believe... what's happened."

"Save your energy." I whispered as I sent her a smile.

"Obi-Wan... there is good in him. I know there is... stil-"

I shouldn't have been surprised, that even in her last moments, that Anakin was on her mind. That he was all she cared about, there love was strong, I had always said it was the strongest thing in the Galaxy. Sometimes I was jealous of them, sometimes I wished for someone to look at me the way they looked at each other, but now as I stared down at my friend, all I wished was to see them together... and happy as they once were.

She let out a gasp and I felt my heart stop as her eyes slid shut. I kept a tight grip on Leia as tears streamed down my face.

Obi-wan left without so much as another word, handing Luke over to a nurse. I kept a tight hold on Leia, as I felt tears stream down my face.

She was gone, Padme... my best friend and sister was gone. There was nothing I could do to bring her back and I couldn't just open my eyes and wake up from this nightmare, either. Padme was gone and I had to accept it, because if I didn't it would eat me up from the inside.

After awhile I handed Leia over to a nurse, and then with a single kiss on both children's foreheads. Without so much as another word I turned and walked away, making my way back to my ship. I was almost on my ship when I heard someone call my name, I turned around and saw Bail walking up to me, Leia in his arms.

"I believe, she wishes to say goodbye to her aunt." He said as he held a crying Leia.

I let out a sigh and walked up to them. He placed her into my arms and instantly she went silent.

"Should you find your way to Alderaan.. know that you are always welcome." He said with a nod.

"I have something for her, something Anakin gave to me... a long time ago." I whispered as I handed her back over to him.

I removed a chain from around my neck, which held a blue kyber crystal.

"This is-"

"I know, Ani gave it to me when he found his crystal... he said that it would keep me safe and it has. Now.. now it can protect her." I said with a small smile as I placed it around her neck.

"I'll make sure she knows that you have it to her."

"Thank you."

"I promise, I'll protect her with my life."

"I know you will, you loved Padme just as much as I loved her." I said as I smiled down at Leia.

"I'm sorry... truly I am. I can only imagine the pain you are going thru." He said with a frown.

He couldn't imagine the pain I was going thru, no one but Obi-wan could. I'd lost everything, I'd lost everyone that I had ever loved and there was no way to get them back.

I couldn't even see Leia and Luke grow up, I could hold them in my arms as they cried or tell them stories of their parents... all I could do was walk away and leave... leave them to live and to one day stop the Empire.