Chapter 19 - Fireflies

Magsimula sa umpisa

Yet, nothing happens.

No violent rejection. No vomiting for half an hour straight. No stomach pain at all.

Jack is still as a statue, as if he's processing what just happened. I'm in a similar state of paralysis, just watching on like someone witnessing a miracle in real time.

Suddenly, Jack doubles over, elbows on his knees and head in his hands. He breathes heavily, his entire body shaking. I jolt up, fearing the worst and ready to comfort him. But, I find myself pausing when I hear sniffles coated in static.

Is he crying?

He's holding the sandwich to his chest, as if he's afraid it'll be snatched away the moment he lets go. The faint bit of light from the street lamps catches something as it falls from his face.

He is crying.

I feel my chest tighten with a deep sadness, as well as overwhelming excitement. The bittersweet feeling takes over my body, and before I know it I'm holding Jack in my arms. He throws his arms around my shoulders and pulls me tight against him, as if he hasn't had a hug in years. Which I'm sure he hasn't.

"I̴'̸m̷ ̷n̴o̴t̸ ̶d̵a̶n̷g̷e̴r̴o̸u̸s̶ ̶a̵n̸y̵m̷o̵r̷e̷...!" He whispers through baited breath, as if he's trying to convince himself of his own words.

We sat there, quietly celebrating with each other until the next bus arrived.

---

It was the last day before we got back to the apartment. The air was warm but humid, and it smelled like rain. I couldn't help but reminisce about the campsite and Adiyiah. It must be that time of year again, where the rain refuses to cease until fall arrives.

Damn, have I really been with Jack for a year now? So much has happened, but these past two months have gone by in the blink of an eye. It's so surreal.

I got out of bed, took a shower, and packed whatever little things I brought with me in preparation to leave. It was midday by the time I was ready.

Right before we left, Jack pulled me aside and asked if we could make a little detour while we're out. He said it wouldn't take long. I mean, I'd have to go anywhere he does anyway, but I appreciate him taking the time to check with me first.

It was two hours into the bus ride when I saw Jack reach up and pull the cord, signaling the driver to stop. I glanced out the window, but saw nothing but a forest on one side of the road and a massive empty field on the other.

What business do we have out in the middle of nowhere, Jack?

Regardless, I followed him through the trees. He walked faster than I was expecting, guess he's been slowing his pace to make it easy for me to keep up with him, but now that's out the window. More than once I had to yell after him to stop and wait for me to catch up. Anytime I asked him what we were doing, he would just dodge the question and keep walking.

I'm not suspicious of him anymore, obviously, but I can't help the little voice in the back of my mind telling me he's up to something. I know he will never hurt me, but he's definitely acting strange. I kept shooting him sideways glances as we walked, he either didn't notice or just pretended not to.

Eventually, we reached a huge clearing. One surrounded by trees as tall as skyscrapers. The grass went up to my knees and had all sorts of tiny flowers and little weeds everywhere. Nobody has touched this place in a very long time. And yet, part of me admired how nature reclaimed this little patch of land for her own.

"What is this place?" I asked as I squat down to better see a nearby beetle.

"I̴ ̴f̶o̷u̸n̸d̶ ̸t̸h̵i̷s̶ ̷p̵l̵a̵c̷e̶ ̸a̷ ̶l̸o̷n̶g̴ ̸t̶i̸m̴e̸ ̶a̶g̶o̶.̴ ̴I̴ ̷h̶a̶d̴ ̷j̶u̴s̷t̷ ̴b̶e̶e̷n̷ ̵c̸u̷r̶s̵e̷d̴ ̵a̶n̴d̵ ̵w̴a̴s̴ ̷t̶r̵y̴i̷n̵g̴ ̷t̷o̴ ̶f̸i̷n̷d̴ ̸a̵ ̵p̴l̶a̴c̶e̴ ̵f̶a̵r̴ ̵a̷w̴a̶y̸ ̵f̴r̷o̶m̶ ̸e̶v̴e̷r̶y̴o̴n̸e̸.̷ ̸T̸h̶a̶t̷'̵s̵ ̶w̸h̸e̸n̴ ̸I̶ ̴c̵a̶m̵e̶ ̶a̶c̵r̶o̴s̵s̷ ̸t̵h̸i̴s̷ ̸f̸i̷e̴l̷d̴."