Chapter 18 Holiday Party

Tuesday at 3:00 a.m.

*

Quig and Grew-Ella drove to Dot's florist shop to have breakfast with Dot's mother, stepfather, Ruby, and Snake Boy.

The main room contained every known plant-themed toy, book, or plastic collector plate produced on three planets.

Daisies and a small painting of Jesus covered Dot's home altar.

Bedroom doors were marked by floral signs.

A seven-year-old wolf boy swung from rope ladders to the loft.

"You're supposed to be at the table, young man." Dot handed him a juice box.

He ran to Quig and showed him his pet snakes. "Ida said hi. She is not a ghost."

"There are no ghosts. Elemental spirits, I'd believe," Dot's stepfather said.

"She isn't dead, but spirits are still ghosts." Snake Boy broke into giggles.

"On The Planets Earth and Joy, they're called elemental spirits, saints, angels, or martyrs. Once this life is over, there is work to do," Dot's stepfather said. "Your father is working in the next life, but I wish he came back as a reborn elemental."

"Grandpa, I wished Ida came back as a snake or ghost instead, but she looks cool and gray like a zombie," Snake Boy said.

"When evil people try to use magic to kill, it destroys them instead, and their victims go through a rebirth," Snake Boy's grandfather said.

Quig pointed at the pink daisy-shaped clock on the wall. "Grew-Ella and I need to leave for work, and then we plan to attend Karen's potluck. Maybe she will allow us to take a nap afterward."

"I forgot. We most likely won't show up. Workhouse board members are attending, and neither Ruby nor I intend to deal with them," Dot said.

The Brownstone at 5:00 p.m.

*

Grew-Ella welcomed Quig inside.

The Eliots' home was once two brownstones, but Karen and Paul had updated by hand, patched and painted murals on the walls, and they polished old wood floors to fake a comfortable grandeur.

Karen painted sprites and pixies over the spots Quig smashed into during his unfinished wedding.

Ceiling fans were removed when Grew-Ella was a toddler, so her father wouldn't hit his head, and he crouched to hug his daughter.

Paul stood two feet taller than her, but his wings, brown hair, straight but long nose, and face resembled hers. She chatted with her father, and Quig lost sight of her.

Madd-Ox waved at Quig as a gorgeous woman who resembled Yoleta approached them. "Just one date."

"I'm on duty." Madd-Ox attempted to back up, but he failed.

Yoleta's daughter's fingers brushed his arm. "Your muscles feel tempting."

"Oh, I'm busy." Madd-Ox ran off.

"I know plenty of single...men here," Quig stammered.

She rolled her eyes. "But they don't have Madd-Ox's muscles, wavy red hair, and aren't grand elites. He's a delectable ginger snap. I was born royal and beautiful and deserve an elite."

"He has a girlfriend," Quig said.

"Yes, but Trent's daughter, Delia Orchid, dumped him before, and she is unacceptable." Yoleta's daughter pouted and stomped off.

Workhouse board members wore black and gold uniforms and blazers or cloaks to signify they were the noble elite, the most beautiful and perfect.

Avery-Joy ran toward Quig.