Chapter Twenty - Hell Is Home

Start from the beginning

Fallon took a step back, her brain wired so hard it felt static. Here he was running to save her again, like a knight in shining armour. Like she was some damsel in distress. She didn't need saving, or so she told herself. Yet she couldn't help, but question was this part of his plan. To pretend to save her so he could do it himself. After all that was his plan all along. She felt like she couldn't put her thoughts in constant order. It was too much. He was too much.

''Fallon, are you okay? We need to get out of here'' James concerned voice pushed through the ringing in her ears. He took another step forward to place his hand on her arm.

Fallon pushed his hand away with her forearm, her breathing ragged. She felt like she was going to be sick. Her head and heart pounded in unison. Could she trust him? The way he held her in the private room, the way he touched her. Could he be this good at pretending? Was she being a fool for trusting him?

There was more angry, certain voices getting closer from the door that lead to the main hall. ''Ben went this way, I heard a gun shot'' Another man said, his voice very close to the door.

Fallon looked up from the dead body to the door, as the door swung open her body was yanked to the side, being dragged along by her arm. James strong hand wrapped around her upper arm, a stealthy grip that was sure to leave a bruise. He pulled her with him through the door that he entered through earlier.

''Get to the truck they are running to the carpark!'' A voice further away reached Fallon and she looked behind her as the door swung shut. She was being pulled down a staircase, it was dark and the air smelled of stale must and damp mould. Clearly not a place that was used by customers of the building.

Moments later James pushed the door open and it was light again. Artificial light of underground vale parking, making her squint. Many expensive cars lined the bays. Fallon tried to keep up with James long strides. Her heel clicking against the concrete. Black SUVs lights flashed and the vehicle clicked. A sign of it being unlocked. James swung the door open to the passenger seat and helped Fallon inside. Everything was happening so fast she couldn't process the information around her quick enough.

James hopped into the drivers seat, starting the vehicle as fast as he could and wheel spinning out of the car park. In what felt like seconds they were out on the busy streets of New York.

''W-wait what about Sam?'' Fallon gasped and finally looked at James. His jaw was clenched, and his eyes were hard starting straight at the road ahead. Unreadable emotion flashed across his features.

''Steve got him out. He's okay'' He spoke a lot calmer than what his face looked like. He wanted to leave him behind, to get shot by one of Starks men just for touching Fallon. And yet he couldn't bare the thought of Fallon being upset due to Sam's death.

Fallon nodded and looked back at the street ahead. James was flying past all the cars that were out on their leisurely drives. A truck following them in the mirror caught Fallons attention, she turned her body to look through the window as James made a sharp right hand turn. A bullet ricocheted of the car smashing the glass and Fallon gasped, covering her face with her hands, parts of her face stung with pain. When she pulled her hands back they were covered in blood.

''Hey Look at me. Look at me!'' James eyes keep flicking between the road and Fallon. His voice panicked.

James voice pulled her out of the sudden shock and she looked at him. Some blood was dripping down the side of her face, matching the colour of her hair.

''Its okay Its just glass.. The bullet didn't hit you'' He said after examining her face for just a moment longer.

The truck following them didn't ease up, speeding up they were on their tail now. James cursed after looking in the rear view mirror couple of times.