Chapter 4: A Noble Rendezvous

"What?! You are now engaged?!"

The surprised and curious voice of Dragoljub Hreljić, Tomislav's batchmate, amplified the speaker on the laptop while the video chat commenced. Known by his secret name Alcarino Artanárion (biological son of Artanárë/Jelena), he braced himself for the conversation that was about to unfold.

"Tomislav, what's this I hear about your engagement to Marko Mitrović?" Dragoljub's voice was filled with incredulity, and his eyes widened in disbelief.

Tomislav hesitated for a moment, the weight of his secret relationship with Marko hanging heavy in the air. "Yes, it's true," he admitted reluctantly, his tone tinged with apprehension. "I admit, that Marko and I have decided to take our relationship to the next level."

But Dragoljub's reaction was not what Tomislav had anticipated. Instead of sharing in his joy, he issued a warning that sent a chill down Tomislav's spine.

"You have to hide it secretly, Tomislav," Hreljić cautioned. "The purebloods won't take kindly to your relationship with a mudblood. You could face grave consequences if you're not discreet."

Tomislav's heart sank at the reminder of the societal barriers that threatened to tear him and Marko apart. Caught between his love for Marko and the fear of societal backlash, he struggled to find a solution.

"I know," Tomislav replied, his voice heavy with resignation. "But I can't decide what should I do now."

But as the conversation progressed, Tomislav realized that he couldn't navigate this challenge alone. With a heavy heart, he knew he had to confide in his cousin-in-law Gavrilo, who could offer guidance and support in the face of adversity.

Dragoljub's shoulders weighed down by the burden of responsibility, found himself lost in thought as he contemplated his next move. Sitting in the comfort of his study, surrounded by shelves lined with books and the soft glow of lamplight, he sighed heavily, the weight of his decisions pressing upon him.

For a moment, he allowed himself to wallow in uncertainty, his mind racing with endless possibilities and potential pitfalls. But then, with a determined glint in his eye, he straightened his posture and set his jaw, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

"I have an idea, " Dragoljub declared.

"What?" Tomislav questioned.

"Maybe I should join your acquaintance dinner at exactly 7 in the evening, then we should negotiate with your cousins-in-law about your future civil union in Split. Agree?" Dragoljub convinced calmly.

"Agree."

Then, a familiar ringtone echoed through the room, drawing Tomislav's attention to the smartphone resting beside his laptop on the wooden table. With a quick glance at the screen, he saw the name of his mother, Artanárë, flashing in bold letters, prompting him to answer the call.

"Hello, Majko," Tomislav greeted warmly, his voice laced with affection as he adjusted the angle of his laptop to include his mother in the conversation.

Artanárë's face appeared on the screen, her smile radiant despite the distance separating them. "Alcarino, sine," she said, her voice filled with warmth, "how is your new life in Vinkovci treating you?"

Tomislav's expression softened at the sight of his mother's familiar face, her concern touching him deeply. "It's been an adjustment," he admitted, his tone reflective. "But I'm settling in slowly, thanks to the support of my former batchmates like Dragoljub."

"I'm glad to hear that. Don't forget that you always have my support, no matter where life takes you." Artanárë nodded understandingly.

Tomislav's heart swelled with gratitude at his mother's words, her unwavering support a source of strength in uncertain times. Yet, beneath the surface, he carried a weighty concern—the engagement with his ex-adopted brother Marko Stjepan Mitrović, a decision fraught with complexity and uncertainty.