🩸Favorite Person (pt.14)🩸

Start from the beginning

"It was like this huge group of policemen that came just to protect your father, Marine. And we were the main targets."

"I'm sorry."
He just sighed, "No worries. Although if I died, I'd blame it on you."

Cleodare rolled her eyes.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to go to the bathroom."
He nodded and I turned to leave.

I didn't actually need to go, but the fact that he appeared to hate me, and then sacrificed his life for me was strange. I needed a minute to process.

The mirror just showed this lost girl. I didn't know who I was anymore. I prayed Cleo would never leave me, because I didn't have anyone else to turn to, my family was gone. However, it didn't feel like the grief I kept pushing down though.

It felt like relief.

The walls felt less suffocating when I walked into the house.
Sure they were dead, but I could be myself now.

And it wasn't like there was ever a point where they cared. If Cleo left me I would find a cliff to jump off of. Her leaving would be torture, and I don't either of us fully understood why that was. However, it was certainly clear that I had issues.

I needed to talk about it with her. I was just nervous to. I was surprised I had even pushed myself off of her to go to the bathroom, I could never tell if it was getting better or worse.

It was a mental war. Half of me clung onto her much tighter than I should've, and the other half needed to go on my own, be independent.

Most of the time, the first half was winning.

I was being shoved around by my own mind. The possibilities of what I could do to myself were terrifying.

I sighed and took my pink bottle of cactus rose lotion off the counter, clicking the lid open and watching it disappear as I rubbed it in.

When I got back from the bathroom and my strange crisis, Harper was digging through my closet, while Cleo just stared at him, anger in her eyes. I didn't mind too much, I had nothing to hide.

"Ah, Marine," he said, raising an eyebrow and pulling out an old book. He showed it to me, the cover was dark, a pentagram right in the center. For as long as it had been in there, it wasn't too dusty.

"Witchcraft? You?"
"That was a long time ago," I answered, trying my best to defend myself.

He quickly sifted through some of the pages. "This looks shady as fuck."
"Yeah, none of it worked,"
"I stopped using it around a year ago."

A year ago was when I had only just started to get over my sister's death.

"Cleo is staring at your ass by the way,"
I snorted and quickly glanced back at her. She scoffed and diverted eye contact.
"I don't blame her, my ass looks good in these pants."

"I'm going to leave now, though. You two don't need me any longer."

He tossed the book back into my closet, then raised an eyebrow.
"Porn mags? Marine!"

"That was a long time ago." I grunted.
He just shook his head and stood up. I stopped him before he pushed past me and out the door.

"Cleo won't say it but...thank you." I whispered. He nodded and slipped a small smile.
"Come get me if you need anything, at last resort. I really don't want to have to help you again."

My head bobbed and he left. I hoped, especially for Cleo's sake, we wouldn't need him anytime soon.

"Are you coming back for cuddles?" She questioned.