Chapter 2 - A Choice

Start from the beginning

"Indeed, I did. I formed a close bond with the Princes, Fili and Kili. It's quite a tale, really. They are remarkable individuals. I spent several winters immersed in their culture before journeying here, drawn by the presence of the Dunedain," Anaynah shared.

Gandalf smiled warmly, "It warms my heart to hear of your adventures, my dear."

As they concluded their meal, Gandalf asked, "May I smoke my pipe in here?"

"Of course, Gandalf. My companion, Jahan, also enjoys his pipe," Anaynah replied. Gandalf raised an eyebrow, momentarily misunderstanding her meaning.

"Companion?" he inquired, thinking she referred to a romantic partner. Anaynah's eyes widened, realizing the implication.

"Oh, no. Jahan is my brother-in-arms. He's a Ranger from the North and should return soon from his business in Ithilien," she clarified with a chuckle at Gandalf's assumption.

"I see. It's comforting to know you haven't been entirely alone," Gandalf said, his smile tinged with sadness. Anaynah's expression mirrored his melancholy.

"I spent many years alone, Gandalf, before I met Jahan. Perhaps solitude was necessary for me," she confessed, her gaze drifting towards the mesmerizing flames of the fireplace. As she stared into the fire, Gandalf noticed her eyes change, reflecting the golden hues of the dancing flames.

    Anaynah drew a sharp breath as she looked back at Gandalf who quickly turned his head so she wouldn't pick up on his stare

Anaynah drew a sharp breath as she looked back at Gandalf who quickly turned his head so she wouldn't pick up on his stare. She did.
Standing up she offered to take his empty bowl and their dishes to the sink.

Gandalf decided to probe, "Tell me, my dear. You say you met the Durin sons. Did you happen to meet Thorin Oakensheild during your stay in the Blue Mountains?"

"I did." She too cared deeply for Thorin as he had given her a sanctuary.

"And what were your thoughts of him?"

Anaynah continued to clean the dishes, still listening to Gandalf with her back to him,
"Well, I believe he is a great leader. Though, he never seemed too fond of me at first. It was as if he tolerated me for the sake of his nephews. He seemed... uneasy around me. However, when hardships fell upon their city, I stayed and aided. Orc raid hunts, scouting missions, I believed I proved my loyalty as an ally to him."
Anaynah smiled to herself at the memory of her time in the Blue Mountains. Kili and Fili, she missed very much, they had been so kind to her and their relationship grew close.

Gandalf nodded as he listened intently to her words, taking in the fact she sounded quite sole. He decided to push further.

"Indeed. Great leaders often rise in harsh times, with hard pasts... I don't suppose they know of your gifts?" Gandalf slyly asked. Anaynah stopped scrubbing the dish. Silence filled the air for a few moments before she spoke without turning her back.