CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine

Start from the beginning

He gave Jared a hard stare. "See." His eyes narrowed. "Get lost."

"I don't think so," Jared announced.

Oh, for the love of.... "Jared," I said, trying to keep my voice level. "Could you please give us some time? I still have a bone to pick with this one."

Killian let out a snort, clearly unimpressed.

"Fine. I'll be around in case you need me," Jared stated with a frown.

Since when was Jared acting like some sort of protector?

"Alright," I muttered, mustering a fake smile until Jared was out of sight. Then, releasing an exasperated breath, I couldn't help but feel annoyed.

Killian furrowed his brows, his mouth twisted into a pout. "By the way, how come I'm the only one getting shit from you? You don't seem to have any problem telling me off. So, why are you nice to all the douchebags around you?"

"Um..." For some reason the room suddenly felt uncomfortably hot. I couldn't exactly tell him about Suz's theory, could I? "Because you're especially annoying," I huffed. "And stop using your puppy face on me!"

"Why? Is it working?" His smile widened and I couldn't decide if I was more annoyed or embarrassed at this point.

"Well, Jared wanted to be friends, so..."

"Oh, yeah?" Killian voice tightened. "What did he want earlier anyways?"

"He asked about Chris and his friends."

"Let me guess then. He sounded a bit disappointed when he found out you weren't involved with them?" Killian asked.

I gaped at him. Suz was right. He really was like the Mentalist.

Killian studied me. "He wants to play the hero for you."

"What?"

"Well, look at him. It's obvious he has some sort of inferiority complex. He was always second best to Max. He's only the quarterback cause Max left and then he sees you—a pretty girl stuck with the worst boyfriend in history—and thinks he can finally be the hero. He can finally step up. Be the number one, you know?"

Did he just call me pretty?

"You think I'm pretty?"

"Tay..." His large palms cupped my face, forcing me to look at him. "You're very pretty," he said quietly, and it felt like my heart burst. Then he chuckled at the stunned look on my face. "Happy?"

It was dumb to feel so happy about it, especially since my skin was only one flare away from being called the opposite. But I couldn't help it. I had a feeling it wasn't something Killian would say easily.

I snapped out of my trance. What were we talking about? Oh, yeah. Jared. "That's weird. He doesn't think like that..."

Not even I thought I sounded convincing.

"You're being delusional again, P.T."

"Oh, yeah? That's rich coming from someone who has a girl hanging around him. And don't think your little distractions are working on me. What do I know about you, huh? Nothing." I poked his chest again, vaguely remembering that we were still in public, but it was so easy to fight with him. I just couldn't stop myself. "Please enlighten me, Killian. Why should I tell you anything?"

Those hazel eyes brightened. "You're really pissed huh?"

Pissed? Of course, I was! I had enough of Alicia dropping these hints left and right, making it obvious she knew more about him than I did. "Hell yeah, I'm pissed," I snapped.