Hands On Deck

HIDEO...

"Kuso" I muttered under my breath as I watched Alina leave with my sister

"Kuso" I muttered under my breath as I watched Alina leave with my sister. Maybe I had pushed it too far. I rarely lost my temper or showed the dark side of me to people who weren't my enemies. But I had lost it when Alina kept throwing Sora in my face. I was already going through a lot of shit inside my head and the last thing I needed was the mention of my treacherous ex, whom I would be seeing again.

Seeing that bitch alive and breathing each time, was a reminder that I should have acted long before I had to, when she gave me no choice but to let her live . It was a reminder of my failure, that I had left the power in her hands.

For all my smarts, I had been outfoxed by two of the dumbest people until it was too late. My time abroad had definitely made me soft and made me lose my edge. It was a mistake I was still paying for, every fucking day and that certainly did things to my mind. It was one of the reasons why I acted as if Sora was dead to me. But bliss was quite impossible to achieve, because I still had to see her, in one way or another, or I had to endure someone mentioning her name. It didn't mean I had to like it though and I didn't hesitate to make my feelings known on the topic.

"Trouble in paradise already" Masahiro snarked beside me.
"Mind your own business" I muttered.
"Nah" he grinned , clearly enjoying being intrusive. I didn't have time for this shit. Was it a thing that people had this urge to discuss feelings all the time, whether their own or other people's?

"Anyone interesting on the invite list or it's the usual?" I changed the subject, going back to business. A gathering called by my cousin wasn't just a gathering. It was also a gathering of the who's who of the corporate and underworld, a display of powerful ties, alliances of dangerous men and women in Japan.

One knew you just didn't get a random invite to an event hosted by Daichi Kaneshiro, you had to have a certain net worth and a pedigree to boost. It mainly consisted of Japan's 'elite' families, by elite I meant the families who regarded themselves as 'pure Japanese',whatever that meant.

Being part Chinese meant I was not exclusively part of the club. Having a net worth which was more than everyone's, the name Kaneshiro and the diplomatic ties, meant no one would openly point it out or uninvite me. No one was also willing to be the direct recipient of my wrath. However, it didn't mean that their resentment was hidden.

Ours was an alliance skating on thin ice and and a slight fraying on the rope would cause the scales to tilt drastically and when they did, their side would be found wanting, I would make sure of that.

"The usual bastards and the cheerleaders. No one special" Masa scoffed. He hated these events as much as I did. Someone always reminded him that he wasn't a true Kaneshiro by blood and that he was persona non grata. Instead, I had made him my right hand and my proxy, just to stick it to their smug faces that he belonged, just like I and everyone else did.

The 'cheerleaders' were the other players in the corporate world, they wanted a seat at the table that they would never really get. Some were dignitaries and diplomats, invited under the guise of sanitizing the whole thing and to try and build ties. Most of them would never attend an event hosted by my cousin solely, but my presence there helped to smooth over their concerns and apprehension at being connected to a man like Daichi. That was the reason why my cousin wanted me around, to be his buy in, in the diplomatic world.
"Good" I nodded. I didn't like surprises of any kind.