Prologue

Prologue

For the students of McKinley High, it was the first day back at school. For Alec Lightwood, however, it was the beginning of his journey into this new school. His siblings, Jace and Izzy, had already been at school for the last few months before summer. Alec had remained in New York with his father, until now.

It would be an understatement to say that Alec was nervous, his hands were trembling and his skin had lightened to an almost unearthly shade. His sister, Isabelle, raced out of their family car quicker than Alec had thought possible, calling a sarcastic goodbye to their mother over her shoulder. As Alec watched her, she strode towards the school building with an air of confidence, greeting a group of pom-pom wielding girls by the front doors. Following suit, his brother Jace climbed out of the car, saying a kinder goodbye to Maryse, and then it was Alec's turn. He smiled nervously at his mother.
"Wish me luck." He murmured to her, which was met by a motherly smile.
"You'll be fine, Alec." She responded.

Alec nodded and swung his legs out of the car, looking up at the school building looming in front of him. He let out a deep breath and silently prayed to any God who was willing to listen. Reluctantly, Alec took a step towards the complex before glancing behind himself, full of hope. Unfortunately, his mother had already sped off, no doubt in an attempt to get the youngest Lightwood to school on time. Alec gnawed on his bottom lip, turning to face the building dead ahead and ran a boney hand through his hair before determinedly marching up the winding path and into what was most certainly going to be his very own personal hell.

As Alec made his way through the sterile looking corridors, he stared down at the piece of paper in his hand that read a locker number, combination and a map of the campus. When Alec had located his locker, he discovered what appeared to be two teenage girls leaning up against the one beside it.  Both girls were gorgeous, astoundingly so, but Alec felt no swell of his chest (or pants) upon this fight, they just were't really his type.

Alec slowly opened his locker, being able to hear an extract of their conversation as he pulled out his calculus textbooks. The girl who had long blonde hair was saying that she had broken up with a boy named Magnus Bane over the summer break. The leaner girl with cropped black hair grinned back at her, obviously pleased with this development. Magnus Bane? What kind of a name was that anyway?! Alec asked himself as he shoved the books in his bag and turned in the other direction, getting away from their conversation as soon as possible.

--!--

Magnus Bane however, was still in bed, oversleeping, as usual. His mother marched into his room and rolled her tired eyes before shaking him awake.

"Magnus!" She exclaimed. She was dressed in her nurse's uniform, ready to get to work. Her hair was already coming loose  from its knot at the back of her head.
"You're going to be late for School! Get up! What a way to start your first day back at school!" She screeched and left his room.

Magnus sat up with some difficulty and ran a hand through his hair that was sticking up in odd spots, grumbling something about how he didn't need school anyway. He got out of bed regardless and shuffled towards the bathroom.
"Don't shower! Just get dressed!" He heard his mother scream from the top of the stairs. Magnus lazily rolled his eyes and washed his face in the sink, looking at his reflection quickly before walking back into his bedroom. He made his way to his walk-in-wardrobe and pulled out one of his favourite outfits; black leather pants with a black t shirt and a blazer covered in metallic glitter.

He slid on his outfit with nimble fingers before  walking back to the bathroom. Once in front of his large mirror, he pulled towards him a straightener and multiple tubs of labelled makeup. When. his hair was styled in perfect spikes with faint metallic blue tint to them, he added some more sparkles to the black mass. He then opened up his pot of Kohl and begun to apply it around his eyes, accompanying it with his borderline gold eyeshadow and applied more sparkles to that before leaving his bathroom to lace up his favourite boots and swinging his backpack over his shoulder.

Magnus walked leisurely down the stairs (much to the annoyance of his mother) and made his way into the kitchen. His mum had set out a plate of toast and Magnus ate it quickly, sliding his wallet, keys and phone into his bag. He made a quick instant coffee to wake him up and kissed his mother goodbye.
"See you later mum, don't let anyone die," He said with a smirk but his mother slapped his arm playfully in reply.
"Drive carefully and have a good day first day!" She called after him as he walked out the front door with a final wave behind him. He slid into his 1970's Valiant that was now a faded blue colour from many years of use with only one fresh paint job in the early nineties. He climbed into the driver's seat and put his coffee in the  drink holder before backing out of the driveway and heading to school.

--!--

Alec was walking around the school, studying the map he had been given studiously. He sighed as he ran into a familiar figure. His brother Jace was standing in front of him with his trademark grin.
"Ten minutes here and you're already running into other students?" He asked raising his eyebrows. Alec simply rolled his eyes.
"I'm just looking for my home room." He said. Jace glanced over Alec's shoulder at his map.
"Looks like we are in the same home room bro!" He said with a small smile. Alec let out a sigh of relief. So, he wasn't going to be all alone after all. Jace and Alec set off in search of the home room, getting lost more than a few times. They were finally heading in the right direction when Alec saw him. He was tall and had an array of black spikes on top of his head. He was holding a coffee mug and quite frankly was the best thing Alec had ever seen. His breath caught in his throat and the world seemed to stand still as the other boy's emerald green eyes - that were somehow made even hotter with the most glorious collection of golden flecks through them - met his.

--!--

Magnus stared back at the boy with messy black hair and blue eyes. His breath hitched in his throat. He blinked as he walked past and turned back towards the front, away from the boy. He was cute, Magnus admitted to himself, but he wasn't ready to go chasing some boy down after what had happened with Camille - his now ex girlfriend who had just broken up with him before the end of summer. It wasn't a good way to end the summer. At all.

Magnus sighed and walked into his home room, skunked down into his usual seat next to Ragnor, his best friend, whom he'd met in home room and was in most classes with. Ragnor grinned at him. Magnus could swear that he benefitted from his suffering.
"Late start?" He asked and Magnus just shrugged in reply as the home room teacher marked their names off the roll. He heard his name called and raised his hand in reply. His mind was other places however. His mind was on that boy with the blue eyes.