This is a memory from the first time I dance battled in public, on stage. It was at an event in Mission District, San Francisco. January of 2019. That day was my birthday. Five years ago. I turned fifteen. Time moved so fast, yet so slow. It was now late December of 2024.

Dancing and singing was the only things I was good at. But all of this bullshit, all of these events throughout these five years took it away. It took away our dreams. Our talents. Our passion. We couldn't even graduate high school because we spent the rest of our teen years into our young adulthood in a fucking shelter, trying to survive. Come to think of it, we probably wouldn't have survived UF-37 anyway. The virus killed four billion within a span of what?....Four-ish years?

"Gaia", I heard Celosia's voice call out. "You know I love you right?"

"Yes, I know. I love you too girl. Always had even when we had our falling out. It never changed."

"Let's all stay together until the end", I heard her whimper, beginning to cry. "You, me, Beval and Kimberly."

"QUIET BACK THERE!", An officer yelled as he pounded the glass, it scared us, but it also awakened everyone who was still asleep.

"Why are you guys giving up?", Katie asked moments later, scooting over, whispering to us. "We still have a chance."

"They took our powers", Beval explained to her, awakened from the banging . "What chance? It's over. Without Shimizu or Danny, it's over. They are the masterminds. We aren't."

"No. That's not true", Katie argued back.

We always followed Danny, but Shimizu was the one who looked up to him the most, which is why he was second command to him in a way. Even now.

I just went along with what he said, Kimberly and Celosia were a bit skeptical of him. Beval bickered with him. But Shimizu, Shimizu saw him as a big brother.

"It's not true, because, well...", she sighed, defeated. "Nevermind. I just don't want you guys to blame yourselves. You were coming to help us right?"

"Yes, but at first the plan was to come with Shimizu and Da-"

The van made a sharp turn causing us to lose our balance, some people bumping onto each other.

Getting back from laying to sitting, I stretched my body upward, glancing out the window. We were on a bridge, but it was so dark I couldn't make out where exactly we were, but it looked pretty isolated.

For the next ten minutes there was a loud silence between us. Beval quietly sung a song. A song he loved since middle school. Isabella's contractions lessened. Kimberly went back to sleep as did everyone else. We were in this van for what felt like a total of four hours. 

The longest four hours of my life finally comes to an end when we eventually reach our destination. The van made a left turn then came to a slow stop.

The sounds of fearful whimpering were formed by other people in here with us, I couldn't tell who because it was so dark. They were scared of the unknown and what was to come. The officers got out of the van, slamming the door behind them and abruptly opened the back doors.

Cold air rushed in. I shivered, goosebumps formed in my arms, legs and neck.

"GET UP! LET'S GO!", one of them yelled, several other FEMA officers arrived from behind to help them.

They began dragging and grabbing us from the warmth of the vehicle into the chilly cold night. I was one of the first people to be dragged out.

"Don't grab her like that!", Beval shouted at him, trying to protect me in anyway he could.