Chapter 31

Just over a year had passed, with us training for our eighth gym battle.

"It's a shame you didn't win the masterclass Yui, but that always just means you can practice more before the next masterclass" Lotus says to me as we were walking towards Snowbelle city, after the Master class.

"Thinking back on how Aria performed with her pokemon gave me some ideas, and I know after I beat the eighth gym and challenge the elite four, the bond between me and my Pokémon will be even stronger than it is now." I reply, looking at her with a determined look in my eye, causing her to smile slightly.

"That's the spirit Yui! I know you'll do great in your eighth gym battle." Lotus says encouragingly and I nod, running through my strategy in my head.

I knew I was using Sylveon, Braixen and pachirisu, since the rest of my pokemon wouldn't be able to do much damage to ice types, or were extremely weak to ice types.

Since Braixen was a fire type and did the most damage against ice types, I had decided to use Braixen for the gym leader's strongest pokemon, and I hoped that Pachirisu and Sylveon would be able to defeat the other pokemon.

We continued through the route, a slightly cold air blowing through and rustling the tall grass and trees nearby, and as we continued, I could tell we were getting closer to Snowbelle city since the air got increasingly colder and bitter.

"Why does it have to be so-" Lotus goes to complain, but after I stopped abruptly, she cuts herself off.

"What's wrong Yui?" She asks, genuinely concerned, and I just point in front of her.

In front of us was a bridge with a marsh below it, and the wind blowing made the bridge shake slightly. The rustling of the trees blended with the slight creaking of the bridge, and Lotus looked towards the bridge, then back to me.

"I-I've never been good with bridges..." I say quietly, hugging my arms close to myself and re-adjusting the scarf around my neck.

"We'll cross it together, okay? Close your eyes and hold on to me, I'll make sure nothing happens. If it does, I want you to call out Vivillon okay, and she can help." Lotus says calmingly to me, and I nod.

Before we cross the bridge, I call Vivillon out of her pokeball, even though Lotus said to if something happened, but I feared I would panic and forget to.

"We're going to cross now okay Yui? Just hold onto me." Lotus says, and I nod again, closing my eyes as I did so.

We took careful steps across the bridge, Vivillon trailing slightly behind me in case something happened.

Much to my dismay, a strong gust of wind blew across, shaking the bridge, and Vivillon quickly flew right behind me, ready to catch me if something happened.

Vivillon and I both knew that Lotus would quickly call out her Serperior if she needed to, so Vivillon's main focus was making sure I was okay.

"We're almost there Yui, don't worry." Lotus says reassuringly, and I once again nod in response, not really trusting my voice.

Finally, I felt the dirt underneath my feet, and I opened my eyes, letting out a sigh of relief as I did so.

"See? I told you it would be okay."

"I-I know... thank you." I reply, and Lotus smiles before saying, "No problem, Friends are there to help friends Yui."

After taking a deep breath, we finally made our way into Snowbelle city.

When we arrived, the first thing that I did was admire the layout of the city.

The entire city was adorned in pure white snow, including the houses, making the entire city look magical, with small orbs of snow still falling from the sky. Snow was hugging the leaves and branches of the surrounding pine trees, almost as if protecting the trees themselves.

The wind was much colder and more bitter than it was on the route we were just on, but I didn't mind, since both me and Lotus were wearing warm coats and scarfs anyway.

"Why does it have to be so cold..." Lotus grumbles, and I could only give a light hearted laugh in return.

"Maybe because it's snowing? What did you expect it to be, warm?" I joke, and she gives me a playful glare in response.

"Well, no, but I certainly didn't think it was be this cold." She complains, and I roll my eyes playfully.

"Should we head straight to the gym? Or do your Pokémon need healing?" Lotus asks, and I ponder for a moment.

We actively avoided any trainers on the route we were just on, just so my Pokémon didn't get hurt, but I wondered if it would be a good idea to stop by the Pokémon center anyway.

"I think we'll be okay; we can head straight to the gym." I ultimately decide, and Lotus agrees, as we make our way to the gym, being careful not to slip down the stairs that we needed to go down.

Once we got into the gym, the first thing we were warned about is that it would be cold, and both me and Lotus wondered how it would be colder than it already was outside.

They were right. It was considerably colder inside of the gym than it was outside.

"How has it gotten even colder?" Lotus mumbles to herself, and once we get to the battle field, I take a look around.

"The battlefield itself was made of ice, and there were icicles hanging from the ceiling and just above where the gym leader was.

The gym leader, Wulfric, greeted us, and asked which one of us would be challenging the gym.

"I am." I say, trying to show the determination in my voice, but I was still a little worried for this battle.

This would be the last badge I needed before I could challenge the elite four and if I won against them, I could challenge the champion.

"I see. You've done well to get this far, to the eighth gym. You are aware if you win this battle, you can challenge the elite four?" Wulfric questions me, and I nod.

"Do you think you have the strength and a strong enough bond with your Pokémon to win this battle?" Wulfric questions again.

"I'm certain I do." I say, smirking a little.

"I like your determination." He says, before going to his side of the battle field.

After his assistant explains the rules, we both send out our Pokémon.

"Show time Sylveon!" I say, as I throw Sylveon's pokeball in the air, and she comes out, landing gracefully on her feet, even with the icy battlefield.

"Come on out Abomasnow!" Wulfric says, as he throws the pokeball in the air, and his Abomasnow comes out.

His Abomasnow was considerably bigger than Sylveon, but I was hoping we could use our size to our advantage.

"Challenger may have the first move. Battle begin!" The announcer shouts, and the battle begins.