Chapter 9

We woke up slightly later the next day, since I wasn't in that much of a rush to battle the gym leader, and I knew I would be able to think more clearly if I wasn't tired.

Lotus was up before me this time and was already packing up her stuff.

"I'm surprised you were up before me." I say to Lotus jokingly.

"I get up early when I want to." Lotus replies, jokingly as well.

Serperior was already sitting with Braixen, while Lotus waited for me to pack up all the camping equipment Once I had, we went to get some breakfast at the pokemon center, before making our way to the gym.

"I-I'm not too sure Lotus... maybe I should train first..." I say, unsure of myself as we arrived at the doors of the gym.

"You'll be fine don't worry; I believe in you." She replies, giving me a warm smile before we enter the gym.

"Welcome challenger to the Cyllage city gym. I'm Grant, the gym leader of rock type pokemon." Grant introduces himself.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Yui." I introduced myself, and we both took our positions on the battlefield, while Lotus went to watch from the side with her serperior.
After the referee explains the rules of the gym battle, I sent out deerling, while Grant sent out his Tyrunt.

"First move is yours challenger." Grant says calmly to me and I nod in response, pushing all my nerves away.

"Deerling, leech seed!" I call, and deerling immediately throws a few small seeds at Tyrunt from its head, landing on Tyrunt, draining its energy.

"Use bite!" Grant commands, and although restrained by leech seed, Tyrunt carries out the command immediately.

"Dodge it Deerling!" I quickly say, and deerling just about manages to dodge.

"Use double kick!"

After the last word left my mouth, deerling immediately ran up to Tyrunt and used it hind legs to kick it, both hits landing, causing Tyrunt to fall back.

"Good job deerling!" I praise, my confidence growing.

"Use bite again Tyrunt!" Grant says but Tyrunt was unable to move, still restrained by the leech seed.

I smirked, commanding deerling to use double kick again shortly after, to which both attacks land again.

"Keep using double kick deerling, don't give it a chance to attack!" I quickly shout, after Grant gives Tyrunt another command.

Luckily, all of Tyrunt's attacks miss deerling, but deerling misses a few as well.

After a flurry of attacks, Grant's Tyrunt finally faints, securing us the first victory over his first pokemon.

"You did great Tyrunt thank you" Grant says as he returns Tyrunt, then looks at me.

"Your deerling is quite powerful, and excellent strategy in not giving Tyrunt much of chance to attack."

"Thank you, but it was still a close match." I reply, and he nods in response, before sending out his Amaura.

"Deerling, can you still battle?" I ask the small deer and it nods, a determined look in its eye.

"Alright, use leech seed again!" I command, and I see Grant chuckle a little.

"Use ice beam Amaura." He instructs, and his Amaura does just that, freezing the small seeds.

I was getting nervous. I knew Amaura was a rock and ice type, so deerling had a slight disadvantage, and none of my pokemon had a high advantage over Amaura.

I tell deerling to use double kick again, but just as it runs up to Amaura, Grant tells his Amaura to use ice beam, freezing deerling in its tracks, before instructing it to use rock tomb shortly after.

With that, deerling faints.

"You did amazing deerling, thank you so much." I say, sadness evident in my voice.

"Alright Braixen, show time!" I say, and Braixen immediately runs onto the battlefield, taking its stick from its tail as a small flame ignites on top of it when it does.

"I know we have a slight type disadvantage, but I believe in you Braixen, we can do this!" I state encouragingly to Braixen, who had the same amount of determination that I did.
"Use flame charge Braixen!" I shout immediately after, and Braixen obeys before I even I finish, charging towards Amaura.

"Use ice beam." Grant tells Amaura, and it obeys.

"Dodge it Braixen!" I quickly instruct afterwards, and Braixen dodges the ice beam promptly, hitting Amaura dead on.

"Good job Braixen!" I shout excitedly, and Grant immediately instructs Amaura to use rock tomb.

I shout for Braixen to dodge it, but it was too late. Rocks had already fell, trapping Braixen in the middle.

"Braixen!" I yell, panicking.

"Amaura, thunder wave!" Grant commands, not giving me to give a command in my panic.

The attack lands, and Braixen is paralyzed.

I couldn't watch after that, Braixen being unable to carrying out the commands I was telling it because of the paralysis, giving Grant's Amaura a chance to hit all of its attacks, using rock tomb more than once.

"Braixen is unable to battle! The winner is gym leader, Grant!" The referee announces, and I fall to my knees, tears welling up in my eyes.

"You battled well Yui." Grant says to me, trying to cheer me up, but I could only nod in response.

"Thank you for the battle" I whisper, not trusting myself to speak louder. He nods and walks away with the referee.

Once he was gone, I managed to get Braixen out of the rock tomb with help from Flabébé. Braixen smiled at me sheepishly, and I could only whisper 'I'm sorry' to it as I put it in its pokeball so I could take it to the pokemon center to get it healed up.

"Oh Yui." Lotus says as she comes up to me, bringing me into a embrace.

That was it.

I had lost my first gym battle.