Issue 3: Mystic Mutation

Start from the beginning

Luz laughed and hugged back. "Y-yes, Mom! I'm fine! I promise! It was just a spider bite!"

Then, Vee came in and joined the hug too. "Don't ever pass out again!!!"

"Hard to do that when school exists." Luz joked, trying to lighten the mood. "S-sorry if I scared you all..."

Then, her father walked in. "Luz, we're just glad you're okay...you are okay, right?"

"Is that implying she's not okay!?!" Camila cried, shaking her husband.

The doctor then came in. "Don't worry, Mr. and Mrs. Noceda. Your daughter is just fine. I would like to run a few more tests though, just to make sure the venom hasn't done anything severe."

Manny then looked at his daughter. "You're not feeling weird or anything like that?"

"Totally fine!" Luz reassured as she put her hand on the papery pillow that doctor's offices always had.

Vee sighed in relief and gave Luz one more hug. "Good...Amity was worried sick. Everyone was."

Luz's eyes widened and she blushed at the thought of Amity...and then remembered that she had passed out right in front of her crush. She sighed. "The one time I try to talk to her, this happens."

"Hey, you should've seen how your mom first tried to talk to me." Manny grinned, already well aware of Luz's crush.

Camila's eyes narrowed and she hit her husband on the arm. "Do not be like that, I apologized."

"I said I'd get my revenge, mi amor." Manny smirked.

Luz laughed before she tried to pull her hand off the papery pillow...only to see that her hand wasn't coming off it. She blinked and began pulling, only for the paper to tear in half and come off right with her.

"...that is some sticky paper." Vee said.

Luz just kept trying to pull it off, but it kept coming in pieces. "Ah, c'mon!!!"

"...this is probably why." Camila said, holding up the lollipop that was on the paper. "Luz, you can't set food or treats on anything when they still have saliva! It's gross!"

"Sorry, sorry!" Luz said before sighing. "Okay, that was a really sticky lollipop. Does anyone have some water to get the rest of this off...?"

Meanwhile...

Caleb sighed as he walked into the lab, his hands behind his back. "Progress report? I've had a long day and one of my son's best friends passed out on a field trip at our building...I'd like some good news."

The scientist he was looking at was hummed. "Well...it depends on how you look at the results of our latest project...is the friend okay?"

"Thankfully." Caleb said. "But what do you mean it depends on how I look at it? What's going on with the Enhancement Serum?"

The scientist sighed. "Dr. Wittebane, the serum's physical effects are doing as promised. We made it to help make soldiers stronger in the heat of a battle."

"I know why we made it." Caleb said. "Just tell it to me straight. What's wrong with it?"

"We've been testing it on mice and it has a very concerning side effect. The mouse is stronger and faster...but it's..."

The two then walked further into the lab and towards the cage the mouse was being kept in...it was completely destroyed, with the mouse even chewing into the metal of the hamster wheel. Its eyes had even turned from black to gold...and its teeth were sharper.

"Insane." The scientist said. "For lack of a better term."

Caleb just watched the mouse almost uncomfortably, even backing up as it threw the demolished hamster wheel against its cage. "So, the serum directly affects the brain as well..."

"It seems that way." The scientist said. "We'll have to go back to formula...if this was ever injected into a human being-"

"I don't even want to imagine." Caleb said. "This project is in development for a reason. We've got the money to keep trying. Have this poor little thing taken out of its misery and whatever's left of this serum destroyed."

The scientist nodded. "Understood. We can take it from here. Have a good day, Dr. Wittebane."

Caleb nodded. "You too. Be careful."

"I always am, sir." The scientist chuckled before walking off, with Caleb heading out of the lab to go home.

The mouse then growled and started to attack its own cage, trying to use its razor sharp teeth to cut through the metal...only for someone to suddenly open the cage.

Immediately, the mouse hopped out to freedom...only to be grabbed by a slimey, dark green, hand. A hand that wasn't human in the slightest.

It was almost like a tentacle of some kind, with three sharp and large claw like fingers on the hand. It looked like it was just barely cutting the mouse.

The mouse thrashed around in the grip, only for a matching tentacle with a syringe in its hand to suddenly inject into the mouse, but the syringe itself was empty.

Then, the syringe began to slowly fill up with a golden liquid as the mouse stopped thrashing around. Then, once the syringe was completely filled up, the tentacle put the mouse back in its cage and closed it.

"...this will do."