Chapter 15

Three.

Two.

One.

No going back now.

I sprint out from my hiding and tackle my mate to the ground. It takes him a moment to realise what is happening, but soon we are in a brutal fight. For the briefest of moments I catch a glance of the Royal who gives me a confused look, but soon enough he'll understand.

That is a mistake though as my mate takes the chance to shift and pin me to the floor. I know he thinks it is over, but he's far from right. Might have thought he'd learn from the past - guess not. I shift into my white wolf and push him off, then resuming the fight, dodging his attacks and giving  him some nasty injuries. 

The fight ends with him on the floor struggling to move and me having shifted back to human form with a large wound on my forehead. Rowan and Kaia make an entrance, Kaia instantly rushes over to me, Rowan following behind slowly. I walk approach the Royal and help him up.

"Who are you?" he questions in barely a whisper.

"The Royal Rogues" I reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a while some guards come and take my mate away and the others come join us. The Royal sits in a throne while the rest of us gather around it. 

"I don't understand" he says.

"Xya, Kaia and I are 5th generation rogues, descending from the Royals" Rowan starts. "We've been wanted dead all our lives and there was never a problem with how we lived... until recently."

"That's why we are here. We want rights. Rights for us rogues." I add.

"No" He finalizes, "I, the king, reject your suggestion" 

Rowan and I exchange glances.

"But..." Rowan tries to argue.

"Guards take them to the prison! They'll be executed tomorrow" the king commands.

On que, the guards come rushing in, following orders, trying to catch the group. Each one of them resisting, except me, I don't move, I remain frozen, searching for a plan. More and more guards group up to restrain the group of rogues 

"This isn't how it ends" I mummer.

"Say something?" the king asks.

"This isn't how it ends" I shout, before they start dragging us away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The prison isn't pretty in the slightest. It dirty and disgusting, all types of grime thriving in everywhere possible, from each hidden corner, to the rusting silver bars. Each one of us is put in a separate cell. All the cells are identical, each tiny, only large enough to fit a mouldy grey bed. After we're thrown in, the guards disappear out the door we entered from. Silence seeps around the room, accompanied by soft breathing.

I lean against the bed and rest my head on my knees. 

"Xya?" I hear whisper from the cell beside me. I hum in response.

"What's going to happen?" she asks. I crawl over and reach my hand through the bars, which she willingly takes.

"I don't know. But I can promise you one thing. Whatever happens tomorrow. It won't be going to plan" I sigh.

And that's true. Whatever happens, we're not going down without a fight. Tomorrow they say we are going to die. That's something that they shouldn't count on. I don't intend that the first execution I'm at is mine.