Chapter 14-2: Benbow Inn

"James, don't tell me you've been getting yourself into trouble again," Ms. Hawkins said to her son over the phone.

"Nothing like that. I'm behaving. Being a model student is...a little harder than I thought."

"You've been doing a good job of that so far. I don't have to worry about you while you're over there do I?"

"No, I mean, you're gonna worry about me anyway right?"

"Yeah, but only because you're my son, James."

"I know, mom. By the way, is the doctor over there in the inn with you by any chance?"

"Yes, he's eating his lunch right now. Did you want to talk to him?"

"No, it's just that he's supposed to be over here."

"Let him finish his food, Jim. He'll be there soon. I won't let him be late. You just worry about your marks. I'll worry about Delbert."

"Okay, mom."

Ms. Hawkins hung up the phone and proceeded to Doppler's table. He grabbed his handkerchief to wipe his mouth of the remaining grease on his mouth, as Ms. Hawkins sat down in the seat opposite of him. Doppler's eyes came up to her face. She forced a smile that quickly dropped to a frown. Her hands slipped from the table onto her lap.

"Trouble with Jim?", he inquired.

"Maybe?", she said shrugging her shoulders, "Can't imagine that sending him to school after everything he's been through would've been the easiest thing for him."

"It's going to be alright, Sarah," Doppler said, as he reached over to pat her shoulder, "Jim's one of the most adaptable people I've ever known. He'll wise up in time. Perhaps that's what he needs; time."

"I hope you're right."

Outside of the Benbow Inn, Aiden landed the ship outside of the view of the civilians. He scanned the area for heartless. None were present, but darkness filled the air. The stench was indistinguishable. They were there, hiding in plain sight. To ensure everyone in the surrounding area was safe, he entered the inn, and immediately caught the attention of the patrons.

"What the devil?", Doppler whispered, "I've never seen him around here before."

"I haven't either," Sarah responded, getting up from her chair. She walked over to Aiden cautiously. "Hello," she said smiling, "My name is Sarah. Welcome to the Benbow Inn. Would you like to be seated?"

Aiden figured it'd be best to wait, so he might as well have a seat just in case. "Yes," he said to her.

"Table three, the empty table there by the window. I'll be with you in a minute."

"Alright."

The stench grew fouler as Aiden grew more vigilant. Through the window next to him was only the vacant port outside. In spite of the smell, nothing could be seen. His vigilance frightened the others inside. The kids watched him curiously as his steely gaze swept across the room. The parents urged their children to continue eating, even though they were susceptible to eying him themselves. Sarah came over to his table. Her cautiousness grew.

"Here's our menu," she said startling him. She noticed and immediately apologized "Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you!"

"No, it's okay," he said to her regaining his composure. He returned to watching the port outside.

"Are you expecting someone?", she asked him.

"Something like that."

"Date?"