Chapter 2: Pearl Harbor

20XX, December 6th

Command Building, Pearl Harbor

Pacific Ocean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knock Knock

"Come in!" A voice said behind a door.

"You wanted to see me Commander?" A girl with long purple hair in twin pigtails said.

"Ah Essex. Yes, please take a seat. We have a lot to discuss." The Commander said.

The purple haired girl now known as Essex sat in a chair opposite of the Commander. As she sat down she took a moment to look at her surroundings, the first thing she noticed was the blue carpet, which stretched the entire room. In the back of the room opposite of the door to enter sat an elegant pure oak desk, which looked like it weighed a good two-hundred pounds. On that desk sat lots of stacks of paper, some piles larger than others. Another thing that stood out was a bright red telephone in a corner and an old bankers lamp in another. Nobody but the Commander knew where that telephone connected to.

"So..... for the reason I called you here, did you read the file I gave you the day prior?" The Commander asked.

"Yes Commander! I did happen to read it. It discussed the transfer of two new ship-girls. They are called New Hampshire and Montana, and the document stated that they would arrive here today correct?" Essex said.

"You are correct, but you missed one crucial detail." The Commander said now staring at Essex.

"Oh no, what did I miss? Was it something important?" Essex said now embarrassed and ashamed of herself.

"You left out the fact that they are ship-boys and not ship-girls." The Commander said now looking for a paper.

"Oh that how could I miss that, they are ship-boys and...not ship.....girls... WHAT????" Essex said now yelling.

"How could you have missed that, it's highlighted in red. Meaning it's important, and you said you read the damn report." The Commander said now annoyed at the ship-girl.

"Well I did...well I was in the middle of reading it, but then Albacore ended up pulling a mean prank on me and I got distracted. I'm sorry Ma'am." Essex said now looking down at her knees ashamed of herself even more.

The Commander simply let out a heavy sigh at the situation and facepalmed at the situation at hand, but knew all to well what Albacore's pranks were like. She quickly regained her composure and went back to her usual stern self.

"Well no matter. Now I want you as the head of the welcoming committee, for your new brothers. I want this base inspected from top to bottom before their arrival. Clean and presentable. Is that understood?" The Commander said with a very stern tone.

"Yes Commander, it will be done as soon as I leave." Essex said with a smile.

"Also take a few girls of your choosing to welcome them that you know will be presentable and respectful. You are welcome to choose whoever." The Commander said with a less stern tone then last time.

"Yes Ma'am! I'll be sure to give my new brothers the best welcome possible!" Essex said happily.

"Dismissed! And on your way out can you put a fresh pot of coffee on for me?" The Commander said now returning for her work.

"I sure can! Have a good day Commander!" Essex said now getting up to leave the room.

"Oh and if they get here later than my office hours I'll see them tomorrow." The Commander said busy looking over paperwork.