2. Journey through the fold

Start from the beginning

"Now, we meet in the dead of night. There's a wreckage of a skiff northeast, on the edge of town. So who gets what?" he says, laying out the plan. "Inej, jurda, (Y/n), you and I will get the goat, and Jesper..." Kaz walks up to him and gives him a threatening glare, "just the coal, no detours." Jesper takes the money Kaz gives him, and sends a charming smile. We all part ways, although I do wonder, why is Kaz choosing me to go with him? Why not Jesper?  That way Kaz coud make sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

~

We've been walking for 20 minutes and all it's been is just silence. "Okay, so we walk until we a find anywhere that sells a goat?" I ask, "We'll find a butcher or farm at some point" he responds, keeping his eyes on the path in front of us, we keep on walking. "Kaz, why did you ask me to come with you? Why not Jesper? That way you could ensure he doesn't do anything stupid." 

"You have a good point, but, part of the deal for you coming along was that I never lose sight of you, in case you run off." Oh, that was smart of them. It also means, if this fails, and I have no choice but to run away, I'll have to outsmart the bastard of the barrel. 

"Look over there, there's a butchers market, we could give it a shot." I state, pointing my finger for Kaz to spot, Kaz just walks over there, we reach the market and we are met with a man and a woman, "Welcome, my friends, what can I get you?" The man exclaims, smiling. "We need a live goat." Kaz requests. "A live goat? We might have one,  Let me check in the back." he says and goes off to find one. The wife looks to us, "Can we get you anything else?" I shake my head, "You're eyes are very pretty, strange, but pretty all the same, I'm sure your husband would agree." I cough and Kaz just glares at her, "I'm sorry, what?" I say, "Oh, am I mistaken, I'm sorry, you two look like you would make a handsome couple, that's all." I smile slightly and step forward to her, "Thank you, we're just colleagues though." I say, I look back to Kaz, and I can notice Kaz tense up a bit. "Are you okay?" I whisper, he nods and turns round to look at the door.

The man comes back, "I hope my wife has entertained you,  here, a live one, he was going to be slaughtered tomorrow, so you've saved him." he groans. "Thats 40 vlachka" he says, holding his hand out, Kaz hands him the money and I take the goat into my arms. "thank you so much" I say, the couple wave to us, "May the saints guide you both" I see Kaz sneer and I involuntarily do the same. 

We start walking to the edge of town, the goat in my hand, we start hearing a Ravkan general who we immediately identify as General Zlatan, "They want you to believe the Sun Summoner has been found to finally tear down the wall that divides us." he announces to the crowd which is met with thunderous applause. "How many times have we been fed a story like that? And how many times have we in the west been told to send our sons and daughters through the fold for another year? It is time we accept that we need to break away from the old country. Now is the time to form our own country, to keep what we make and what we earn instead of sending it to the east. For the true Ravka!" This is met with even more applause, I wonder how many of these peoples lives have been affected by the fold and the wars, it's a surprise some people, like the couple in the butchers, are even able to stay positive and believe in things like the saints. We watch the General go down the steps into the tent where he's greeted by, Arken. Wait what the fuck? "What the hell is Arken doing with General Zlatan?" I look up to Kaz, "I don't know, keep you're eye on him." he says not taking his eye off the 2 men. "Let's go." Kaz orders, I follow behind him still curious on what the hell Arken is doing."

We only walk a few steps when we see Inej at a memorial for those who have died in the fold. "He's adorable." She says the moment she notices us, I smile at her and stroke the goats fur, "Don't get attached." Kaz says glaring at me, I stop stroking the goat. "We were lucky to save him, he was going to be slaughtered tomorrow." I state, Inej pouts and takes a step forward, Kaz does also making her halt. "I didn't think I'd have to specify no detours to you." he retorts, "even if just a few minutes could end a lifetime of questions?" Ah crap, "Your parents are Suli, they go around the fold not through, I'm sure they're out there and looking for you but you wont be able to have a proper reunion if you're a slave to Heleen, because that is what we will be if we don't succeed. And we wont be able to do that if we get caught up." I explain to her, Inej sighs and nods, "You're right (Y/n), I'm sorry Kaz I shouldn't have gotten distracted." Wow, that took a turn, Kaz gives me a grateful nod then turns back to Inej, "Is this over with now? If not pray, scream do whatever you have to do to push this out of your mind and move on." Inej gives him a glare, and then nods her head. We all leave to the edge of town ready for the treacherous journey through the fold.