prologue

PROLOGUE:

The flight that was delayed for two hours finally landed on an island in the Western part of Visayas. After the stewardess announced that the cabin doors are finally opened, Sancha immediately picked up her backpack underneath the seat in front of her. A few minutes later, the late afternoon heat immediately welcome her outside the dock. Though the heat was intense, she can clearly see the dark clouds above.

Habang nakapila sa queue ng service shuttle, biglaan ang pagbuhos ng ulan. Gusto man niya na makisukob sa mag-ina na nasa harapan, agad nalang niya na iniwas ang tingin at dumistansya nang kaunti. In her peripheral view, she saw the old woman looked at her arm with curiously and hint of disgust. She remained still and just settled for her hooded sweater as a cover.

Hindi rin naman nagtagal at dumating din ang shuttle na magdadala sa kanila sa arrival terminal ng airport. Pagkababa nila ay ganoon din naman ang nilakas ng ulan at pagtindi ng ihip ng hangin, para bang may papalapit na bagyo. She checked her phone but the weather forecast indicated no typhoon and just a localized thunderstorm. After picking up her single luggage, she immediately messaged the contact that her tiya Gracia gave her. Half an hour passed with no reply, Sancha decided to find a seat while waiting.

The small arrival lobby was packed. Most from her inspection are from the nearby islands while some are probably from Manila for a vacation. She scanned the surrounding and after a few minutes of walking, finally found a vacant seat near a battered floor standing air-con. She removed her short-sleeve hooded sweat shirt and fixed herself. Kahit nasa tapat na siya ng air-con ay init na init pa rin siya. Siguro ay dala na rin ng biglaang pag-ulan. Inaayos niya suot na damit nang mapansin ang mga mapanuring tingin ng isang matandang babae na dumaan sa kanyang harapan. Agad din naman nawala ang tingin niya rito nang maramdaman ang pag-vibrate ng cellphone. A message came in, and after a few seconds is a call.

"Nakuha mo na yung phone mo?" Pambungad nyang tanong.

"Yes, finally!" Magiliw na sagot ng kausap niya. "Hindi mo alam kung paano ko na-bribe si Carmencita para tulungan ako makuha 'to sa study ni daddy." Sancha can picture the pride written on her friend's face. Umiling naman siya at hindi nagsalita.

"Kamusta? Nakarating ka na?" Tumango naman siya kahit alam niyang hindi ito makikita ng kaibigan. "Oo... the weather is giving me a nice welcome."

Lauren laughed. "Bakit? Maulan? Or mainit?"

"Pareho."

"Isa lang ang ibig sabihin niyan, ayaw sayo ng Madalajes."

"The feeling is... very mutual."

The island of Madalajes is one of the largest in the Visayan region. Even though commonly depicted by local news as a hidden paradise, this island is nothing but an old and boring town for her. A prison she desperately want to escape from. She left this island years ago, vowed never to come back. But ironically, she was here again, with a luggage in tow and a messed up appearance.

"Kapag nakakuha ako ng tyempo, pupuntahan kita dyan. Okay?"

"Kamusta pala?" Pag-iiba ng tanong ni Sancha. "Grounded ka pa rin ba?"

Rinig niya ang pag buntong-hininga ng kaibigan. "Oo. But it was worst right now! Forget about my cards and car key. Maski laptop and dekstop ko ay na-confiscate! I was literally caged in my own room. Sabi ni mommy ay hindi raw niya ako matutulungan ngayon. Dad is so crazy these days!"

Sancha fished out her earbuds and connected the call through bluetooth. She removed her mask and used the phone as a mirror to check on her face. The bruise has somewhat subsided but there are still traces of it on her face. Naroon pa rin ang sugat malapit sa kanyang mata nang inangat niya ang suot na aviator.