Chapter 19: The Modernity

"What?! You see that?! They cut right through his spear!" A bulky enemy exclaimed, eyes wide with incredulity and realizing they were clearly on the losing end, he instructed his fellow comrades to make a run for it, "Oh, damn it! We gotta run!"

As the enemies turned on their heels and fled, tears of relief started to form in Ginro's eyes as he cheered, pumping his fist into the air in sweet, sweet, victory. "Oh yeah!"

While the rest of the science brigade and villagers celebrated their victory, you had a feeling in your gut that was telling you that something wasn't right about all this, especially when you saw an impassive look on Hyoga's face as he didn't take off with the rest of his subordinates.

You could tell that Hyoga was someone who prided himself on his excellent fighting prowess, so for him to remain so calm after having his favorite weapon destroyed, an ally turned betrayer, and his men making themselves scarce as soon as they realized they have lost this fight, it just didn't add up.

You felt like this man was as cunning as he was confident on the battlefield which meant he just wouldn't admit defeat without having one more ace up his sleeve to turn the tables on him. And the feeling of unease deepened when Hyoga started to compliment the battle team's impressive skill displayed during their fight.,

"Remarkable athleticism combined with coordinated teamwork and a dirty betrayal..." He stated in a calm, quiet tone as he turned to Senku with unreadable eyes, "Add to that the scientific knowledge to create guns and Japanese Katanas. You people seem to know the proper way to do things."

Senku made a small noise in confusion as he tried to make sense of the other's words. However, the feeling of anxiety that you had felt from the beginning, began to grow at the man's following words; turning into twine that wrapped itself around your heart, causing your heartbeat to race at the tightness of the twine.

"What would have been more proper was if you would've realized that all of this was merely a distraction!" Hyoga continued, his steel blue eyes Peking open to reveal the truth behind his master plan all this time.

While Kinro and Ginro exchanged confused looks, crimson red widened in horror as realization hit him. Whipping his head around, Senku was greeted with a blazing light of orange and red near the village - straw roofs of the houses danced with flames as if the sun itself was taking a stroll through the village, lighting everything in her path ablaze.

Your eyes widened tenfold as you watched the horrific scene in terror, your hands clenching into tight fists, "N-No...the village..."

"So that's really why they came here!" The scientist mumbled, his lips twisted into a grimace as he looked at the horrific sight.

"This is a baad! Fire!!!" Chrome shouted in alarm while the villagers ran for their lives; terrified screams filling the night air as buildings collapsed around them.

The sudden commotion drew Ruri out of her hut, a shocked gasp escaping her lips at the chaotic sight, and she didn't waste any time instructing both of her guards to go help her fellow villagers, "Jasper! Turquoise! I don't need your protection right now! Save the children!"

"Of course!" The both of them agreed and turned on their heels, heading for the bridge that was connected to the main part of the village, but as they approached closer, the other end of the bridge was set ablaze and the whole thing collapsed.

The two of them came to a stop, unable to cross over to help as they stared at the destroyed bridge in shock, "It burned down!"

"Who is that?" Turquoise wondered as her gaze locked onto the female figure standing on the opposite side of them and in her hand, she held a torch which told both of them that she was responsible for the village's fire.