chapter six - (don't) whip it

"Okay you two, just a bit closer and... say cheese!" Tiffany pressed the shutter, causing the flash to beam in both Kurt and I's eyes.

"Wait hold one I need a photo too!" Wendy, Kurt's mum, said, shoving Tiffany gently out of the way.

Homecoming had arrived and to say I was excited was a massive overstatement. I was only going to help out a friend, and my date wasn't someone I'd handpick to attend with me. Again, I literally met him in a park and impulsively asked him out. Looking at Kurt, I could see that he had the same level of excitement as me. In between shots his eyes gazed out into the sky until, at Wendy or Tiffany's command, forcing a smile for the cameras. His tux wasn't his, Tiffany had 'borrowed' it from the alterations place she worked at ("It hasn't been claimed in a month!" she said confidently, swiping it off the rack, "no one will miss it!") and as such it fitted him poorly, being at least a size or two larger. My dress was only slightly better.

"Thanks for coming with me," I whispered while Tiffany and Wendy were trying to capture us from different angles. "I promise we just have to stay for like, a quarter of the night then we can fuck off and eat."

He stayed silent and I pursed my lips in thought. I knew Nirvana had the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' song, it's like the one song everybody and their mum knew. And homecoming seemed like a quintessential part of the American teen experience right? And wasn't Kurt not about that? Had I just dragged him to something that went against his moral code?

I tried again to get a response out of him, "You feeling alright mate?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Just wished they'd stop taking photos."

I giggled, feeling a bit relieved. "Mum's are a bit crazy yeah?" They were. Just then a memory crept up of my real Mum and I going op-shopping one day, which ended up with her haggling with the old lady behind the counter to bring down the price of some CD. In that moment, I stared at my heels and tried to hold back a tear or two. I'd never thought I'd cry about that specific moment but here I was tearing up about it 35 years before it'd even happen.

"Sorry for making you come," I eventually said, trying to hide the crackle in my voice.

Kurt just shrugged, still looking at one of two cameras, "It's fine Missy, if I didn't want to go I wouldn't have shown up."

I didn't fully believe it but I pushed the doubt to the back of my head and gave him a small smile.

Tiffany was our chauffeur that night, although if she actually was a chauffeur, she'd lose her job in an instant. For reference, Australians drive on the left hand side of the road which obviously was not the case in Aberdeen, or most of the world for that matter. However, drivers can't unlearn their habits and Tiffany was no exception. We could tell she was veering to the left when a car horn rang out in our ears, followed by a tight swerve which ended up with me slamming my head against the car window. Looking at my date to gauge his reaction, Kurt had a small smile on his face, keenly watching my fake mum struggle on the American roads. Dude was crazy.

After pulling up in front of the gym where the dance was being held, Tiffany turned to us in the back seat, her left hand still on the steering wheel. "You two have a great time tonight!" she smiled, before she lowered her voice, "No funny business yeah? We don't need another teen pregnancy."

"Tiffany what the fuck!" my mouth hung open while Kurt smirked.

She chuckled. "Hey I'm kidding Missy, now get out I need to put your sister to bed."

The dance wasn't supposed to start for an hour, but Tab told me to get there early so I could help her set up. For the first hour or so, we'd be photographing the arrivals and then after we'd take a few shots of everyone having a good time. "You can leave before the king and queen," she assured me earlier that day, perusing the schedule, "I'll take care of it."