chapter four- the start of a (not) great love story

"Okay, what photo do you like better?" Tabitha, cross legged, placed two polaroids onto my carpet depicting a pep rally that had happened the day prior. After giving me a very detailed tutorial of developing a roll of film, she insisted we meet up after school to discuss whether or not the developed photos were yearbook material. Once again, I couldn't say no. As overbearing and exhausting Tabitha could be, she was nice enough to take me under her wing in a school that had a very rigid and hostile social hierarchy.

"Maybe number 1 it has umm... a nice composition," I assured, although I wasn't sure if I believed it. Looking at them I couldn't tell much of a difference, but Tabitha insisted on the extra quality control. Photography, especially with vintage cameras, was not my specialty.

Tabitha pursed her lips and squinted at the photo, "If you say so." She put the winning photo in a pile along with the other shots I'd half-heartedly approved, "So anyway, did you think about the homecoming dance?"

I nodded, "Yeah I'm going to go, but you'd have to teach me how to take the photos. I'm not good with technology." God, it felt so weird saying that.

Tabitha smiled, "That's totally okay! You'll get the hang of it really quick." Leaning back, she eyed the posters hung up on my walls, "You like Oingo Boingo?"

My ears perked up, "Of course I do! They are so fucking good."

Tabitha beamed and spoke with the same enthusiasm as she did the yearbook, "None of my other friends like them because they're too weird-"

"That's the point though!"

"Exactly!"

I grinned at her as we raved over Oingo Boingo's latest album at the time, Nothing to Fear, which then somehow evolved into a heated discussion about which Talking Heads album was the best. I didn't pin Tabitha to be into that kind of weird 80s nerd rock new wave scene, given her preppy look, but I was so grateful to have someone who shared my interests. Even in the present day, I was pretty much the only one in my friend group into music. As much as I missed them, they were nerds in other ways, pouring over movies and games which I was indifferent to. Before I knew it, the sky had darkened and Tiffany poked her head through my bedroom door.

"Hey Tabitha, you staying for dinner tonight? I can drive you home if you need a ride."

A look of surprise appeared on my friend's face as she contemplated the question, "Um oh yeah sure."

"Okay that's all good, you're free to use the phone downstairs to call your parents to let them know."

"Oh they really wouldn't care," Tabitha shrugged, before catching Tiffany's concerned glare. "I can try though!"

It soon turned out that Tabitha wasn't the only one who was staying for dinner that night. Adam had arrived home from his shitty minimum wage job at Taco Bell and was introducing his friend to our little makeshift 'family'.

"Everyone, this is Chris. Chris, my mum Tiff and my two sisters, Missy and Marla," he proudly announced. I had to admit it, Adam was playing this 80s role very well. Tiffany thought the same too, judging by the small smile on her face.

Chris, who dwarfed us in height, bent down as best as he could to my little sister's height, "Hiya Missy."

I rolled my eyes while Adam laughed, "I'm Missy actually."

Our guest stood up quickly and made eye contact with me, "Oh sorry."

"It happens all the time, don't worry," I shrugged before stretching my neck up to get a good look at his face. I realised he was tall guy from school I was eyeing on my first day, closer up he looked even more goofy; he still wore that stupid grin on his face and I noticed his clothes were of an older style- even for 1982 standards-like he had scrounged around for them in an op shop.

"Well it's very lovely to meet you Chris," Tiffany beamed, putting out her hand which he accepted.

"Where's your bathroom?" he asked, "The Taco Bell ones are nasty, I don't think they've been cleaned since I started working there."

"No worries Chris, just down the hall and to the right."

When Chris left, Tiffany shut the front door and turned to Adam, "You're a lot smarter than you act. What's your plan kiddo?"

Adam shrugged, "Probably just introducing him to Kurt or something earlier so he has friends I guess. Missy already met Kurt, so it's just a matter of finding an excuse for them to meet eachother."

"Nice job Adam," Tiffany nodded in approval.

I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, granted my Nirvana knowledge was really slim. Was this guy Dave Grohl, I thought, nah it can't be there's no beard and his name is Chris. Eventually I asked, "Is this guy important?"

There was a moment of silence before Adam said, "Missy, that's Krist Novoselic."

"Yeah who's that?"

Both of them gave me a are-you-fucking-serious look. "He's the bassist of Nirvana."

"No fucking way," I said. Tiffany motioned at me to lower my voice, pointing both at the direction of Marla and the bathroom. I whispered, "Him?"

My fake mother whispered back, "That's him. Didn't you read the Nirvana section of the binder I gave you?"

"No I only read the part about myself."

"Oh for fuck sake," she put a hand to her forehead, "Just don't mess anything up okay?"

I nodded just as another voice piped up behind us, "Mess up what?"

My heart stopped and I turned to see Tabitha, who I forgot was still at our house. I wasn't sure what the policy was on letting non-time travellers in on the plan but I figured it'd be discouraged at best. "Oh just um mess up..."

"Mess up Adam's job at Taco Bell," Tiffany cut me off, calm and collected. "Adam's not very motivated but this opportunity could steer him in the right direction, especially because he doesn't show up to school half the time." She gave the evil eye to Adam to add a dash of extra realism.

"Mum says he's really lazy," Marla piped in with a big smile, happy she was a part of the conversation. Tiffany motioned at her to shut up.

Tabitha looked even more confused than before. My heartbeat quickened more, fearing the consequences of someone finding out. However, she just tilted her head ever so slightly, "You have a brother?"