Chapter Seventeen: Confrontations

I took my little tubes of acrylic paint and squirted a small dot of each color I needed on my pallete. I got three shades of gray, two shades of pink, and two blues. For the background, I got a few shades of purple, and black.

For the longest time, I wanted to paint a picture of Ash, and now I finally could. I started to work on Ash from the head down, and add the shading later. I started with his eyes. I started with the darker blue paint, and slowly started to work in the lighter shade.

I started to color his points with the middle shade of gray, but Scott called for me after I finished with his ears. "Carrie, can you come here please?" I went out to the living room. The camera was all set up, so I assumed they were recording a Superfruit video.

I sat in between Scott and Mitch, and waited for them to ask me whatever question. "Which one of us is your favorite?" They stared at me for a good thirty seconds before I answered. "Myself." Then I quickly went back to my room to continue painting.

"What the frick?!" I couldn't help but giggle when I heard Scott even after I shut my door. I picked up my paint again to continue painting Ash. I finished the flat coloring of his body, when Scott came into my room. "Done with the video?" I asked without looking up.

"Yeah. What're you painting?" He crouched down to my level to look at my painting. I never told him about Ash, so his question was understandable. "My old cat, Ash. He had to be put down three years ago because he got pancreatic cancer."

I started coloring in his name with yellow paint, leaving some spots untouched for a sort of shine effect. "Oh. Well, it looks cute." He complimented what I had so far. "Thanks, Dad." I glanced over at Scott for a moment before continuing.

Before Scott could completely walk away, there was knocking at the door. I was curious, so I set down my things to see who was at the door. When Scott opened the front door, my heart dropped to my stomach.

It was my parents.

"What- how did you find me?" I wanted to shout, but I couldn't. I was so shocked, my voice was made weak and shaky. "We've come to... negotiate with your foster parents." My dad shot a glare at Scott. "Foster parent. I only have one." I pointed out as snottily as I could.

"What do you want?" Scott stood between me and my parents. "We want our daughter back." My father pulled a folded up piece of paper from his pocket, and showed it to Scott. "Because we never abused her, we have certain rights. One of them, is that we can demand her back."

The look in my dad's eyes was smug, and I was absolutely disgusted by it. "Of course, you have the right to testify in court, but I wouldn't try your luck. Now if you'd just sign at the bottom of the page," He handed the document to Scott, simultaneously grabbing my arm.

He had the same grip on me like he did when he abandoned me at the orphanage. "Let go of me!" I pulled back, and was released from his hold on me. I glared at him before getting back behind Scott. He tenderly put his hand on my shoulder while he kept me away from my parents.

"I'm not signing anything. Legally, she is my child, and I can decide what happens to her." My parents exchanged glances before my mom finally spoke. "If you don't hand her over to us, this whole situation could ruin your career. Either give up custody of Caroline by tomorrow, or never record music again. Your choice."

Mitch finally stood up from the couch and said something. "We don't have to give her to anyone. Right now, she's Scott's daughter, so get out!" He furiously pointed out the front door, but my parents hesitated to leave. "You'll come with us tomorrow, if you know what's best for you and these people."

I scowled at my father's half-assed threat. "We'll give you our answer tomorrow at four-thirty." My dad seemed to accept that, so he finally left. After he closed the door, Scott started shouting at me. Well, it wasn't really full on. More like whisper-yelling.

"Why the hell did you ask them to come back here?" I flinched back out of shock. "What was I supposed to do? Frickin, ask them to meet us at Starbucks for some coffee? They won't be satisfied without an answer. My father knows people. He could have them take me away even if I want to stay with you!"

"If?" I exhaled deeply. "You know what I mean." I sat down on the edge of the couch. "They really could ruin Pentatonix if they don't get what they want. I don't want that to happen to any of you." Scott sat beside me and wrapped his arm around me.

"Nothing is going to happen to us. They aren't going to take you back." I almost wanted to believe Scott, but nothing in this world was ever certain. "I wouldn't be so sure. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay. I might just give myself up to them so you don't have to struggle with any issues in court..."

Scott gingerly lifted my chin with his finger to look at him. "Carrie, I'd gladly go through that to be able to call you my daughter. Now, I'm going to get some Starbucks. If you need anything, just ask Mitch." Scott stood back up, and I forced a smile at him.

"I know." When Scott left out the door, I headed back to my room. I plopped down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. If I leave, I'd be hurting all of them terribly. If I stay, my parents would call a custody case in court, and it could ruin their careers. Scott would have to give up custody of me, and they'd all be stuck with no job, and in Mitch's case, no college education.

That, or I would be able to stay with them, but their carreers would be ruined because of rumors. Then Scott would be stuck caring for a teenager with Intermittent Explosive Disorder. I sighed, covering my hands with my face.

I know what I have to do, but that doesn't mean I will enjoy doing it...

~*~
DUN dun DUUUUUNNNNN!!! FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL OF THEM WHEN I DECIDE TO WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER XD
~Awezumgirl