Chapter One: An Unexpected Surprise

(Caroline's POV)

I sat up in my bunk bed with a sketchbook on my lap. I drew out a rough sketch of a cartoony dog with wings before my only friend, Connor, climbed up the ladder to my bunk. "What'cha doin', Carol?" He asked, resting his chin on his crossed forearms. "What the hell do you think I'm doing?" I half joked, pointing to my paper.

"Well, if you want a hot shower, you better get in right now. Ms. Lindberg is starting to wake everyone up. You know what day it is today." I sighed with a cross expression on my face. Adoption Day. I didn't want ice-cold water raining down on me, so I jumped off the bunk bed.

"Doesn't it hurt to jump?" Connor asked, staring down at me. "No. I'm used to it." I replied simply before heading over to the huge dresser across the room. I opened the top drawer, taking out a black top with a simple headphone design on it.

I chose some capri's and a gray tank top, along with a necklace that had a single eigth note as a pendant. I rushed out of the bedroom, quickly locking the bathroom door and hopping into the shower. I rarely got to shower first because I was one of the oldest kids, but I got lucky today.

I got out of the shower, fixed my hair, and put my clothes on. I quickly put on a little bit of blush and bronzor so I wouldn't blind people with how pale my skin was. I threw my used towel down the chute to the laundry room, and went back to the bedroom.

I continued to draw in my sketch book with some cheap headphones in my ears. I was listening to Natural Disaster by Pentatonix when Ms. Lindberg opened the door. "Okay, it's time for the teens to see the people here. Abigale, you're first." A girl with black hair and tan skin followed Ms. Lindberg into the hallway.

Great. Another day of rejection. Hooray for me. I thought bitterly. Twenty minutes and three kids later, Ms. Lindberg called for me. My shoulders drooped as I took the headphones out of my ears and climbed down the ladder. Ms. Lindberg smiled at me, putting her hand on my back as she took me to the office.

I cringed away from her touch. Ms. Lindberg was the nicest woman I had ever met, but I didn't trust anyone. Not even her. I just wanted to get this over with. The people in the office were the last people I ever expected to see in my lifetime.

Two guys sat in chairs. One was tall with golden blonde hair and a strong jawline, and the other was shorter with black hair, chocolate brown eyes, and a slender body. Scott f*cking Hoying and Mitch f*cking Grassi. I tried the best I could to hide my excitement as I sat down in the chair adjacent to them.

"Hi, I'm Scott and this is Mitch." Scott introduced himself, not like he needed to. "H-Hi, uh, I'm Caroline." I tried the best I could to keep my voice from shaking. "So Caroline, what do you like to do?" Mitch asked me a question. "Well, I like to draw, listen to music, and watch the little kids here." I answered quickly.

"What kind of music do you listen to?" Great. They'll find out that I know who they are if I'm not careful. "Pretty much what fits my mood, so a very wide range of genres. I do not discriminate." I said the last sentence with the Miranda Sings voice, getting a small giggle from Mitch.

"Who are your favorite bands?" I groaned inwardly when Scott asked that question. "Well, there's Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, Mayday Parade, sometimes Beyonce or Megan Trainor, and, uh, Pentatonix..." I mumbled the last part and hoped they wouldn't notice.

"I'm sorry, what was that last one?" D*mmit, Mitch! I screamed in my head. "Pentatonix," I said louder, and waited for the rejection from two of my favorite people ever. "Can you sing?" Scott asked, a smile slowly spreading on his face. "I can match a pitch, but I'm nothing special," I admitted plainly. "But I do know a thing or two about the piano."

Mitch and Scott exchanged glances before looking at me once again. "Do you mind us asking how you got here?" I fought to keep my anger down, but it failed to some degree. "My story isn't some tragic tale about the deaths of my parents when I was young. What happened was they kicked me out after I told them I was a quote unquote, 'f*cking disgusting homo'."

"You're homosexual?" Scott inquired. "Half homosexual. I'm also half straight." I played with words a little bit to come out as bisexual to them. "I think we've made our decision." Mitch said to Ms. Lindberg. She took me back out to the hallway for me to go back to the bedroom.

"Bet they hated you, huh?" Abigale asked me spitefully as I opened the door. "Actually, I'm not sure what they thought of me." I said honestly as I went back up to my bunk. "You're serious?" Conner exclaimed, climbing up next to me. "So you could be adopted by your idols today?" Connor's voice had a tone of excitement and disbelief to it.

"I wouldn't get my hopes up. I keep my expectations as low as possible so I'm never disappointed." I reminded Connor. "I know." He chuckled. I smiled at him as I continued my drawing. "Caroline? Pack your things. Mr. Grassi and Mr. Hoying signed the paperwork and adopted you!"

I sat there wide-eyed and slack-jawed. "No freaking way...!" I breathed. Connor looked at me with a giant smile on his face. "You're getting out of here!" He shouted, lunging at me for a hug. He was probably the only person I would ever let have physical contact with me.

"Well, I'm going to miss you, you dumb*ss cross-eyed b*tch." I joked with Connor. "You too, you retarded-looking f*g-*ss hoe." I could barely keep the smile off my face. "Stop it! You're going to make a b*tch cry!" I giggled before hugging Connor again.

"At least we'll still see each other at school." Connor chuckled, handing me my backpack. "Yeah. And I'll let you come over all the time!" I ellaborated, stuffing my sketch book and colored pencils in my bag. "You better, or I'm never going to talk to you again!"

I put a few pairs of clothes in my oversized backpack with a picture of Connor and I. I took my makeup out of the bathroom, and finally grabbed my blanket, pillow, and laptop. I put my hand in my pillowcase, and took out about twelve dollars that I had saved over the past year. "See you all never!" I called behind me before walking out of that bedroom for the last time with my head held high.

Scott and Mitch stood in the hallway, leaning on the walls waiting for me. "You ready to go?" I nodded. I followed them to the front doors and got in the back of their car. "I don't mean to be rude, but which one of you is my dad?" I asked, looking in the rear-view mirror. "That would be me!" Scott said, raising his hand before putting it back on the steering wheel. "Avi, Kevin, Kirstie and I are your godparents, which means if something happens to Scott, we get to care for you." I smiled a little bit.

"Before we go home, we're going to get some Starbucks. You want any?" Mitch asked as I stared out the window of the car. "You really think I have the opportunity in that place to have a cup of coffee?" Mitch and Scott stared at each other dramatically. "We need to get her a Caramel Machiatto, stat!" Mitch declared dramatically.

I giggled a little bit, and leaned my head against my pillow that was propped up against the car door. I decided that I wouldn't completely trust them yet. Not until I was sure how they acted off camera, and how they would treat me. I didn't want to be lead into a false sense of security. Not again.