Chapter Five: Getting Better

A hand nudged my shoulder as I tried to sleep as peacefully as I could on the couch. I lightly smacked it away, muttering some harsh words under my breath. "If you don't get up this instant, I will be canceling the shipments for all the stuff I ordered for your room!"

My head immediately shot up from the pillow at Mitch's threat. "Now get ready for school. I'll take you there if you give me directions." I ran my fingers through my hair before standing up to go to the bathroom.

After a five minute shower, I put on a pair of shorts, a fitted white tank top, and a thin gray sweater with a hood. I fixed my hair, pulling it back into a ponytail, but letting my bangs fall normally. I put on the little makeup I needed before getting my backpack from my mostly empty room.

"That was quick. Quicker than I take!" Mitch remarked. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm not very high-maintenance when it comes to this kind of thing." I retorted, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. "What time does your school get done?"

"Three. I usually rode the bus back to the orphanage, but I don't think that's going to be the case anymore," I trailed off. "Scott or I will pick you up, then." Mitch said, staring down at his phone. "It doesn't start for another half hour, so can I get something to eat first?" I asked, pointing to the kitchen.

"Yeah, that's fine. The cereal on the top shelf is mine, though. I can't have wheat products, so..." Mitch stared away awkwardly, but I got the point. I took some corn flakes, and poured them in a bowl with milk. I ate it quickly, perhaps a little too quickly by the way Mitch was looking at me.

"I've been living in a crowded orphanage for the past year and a half. If you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat!" I defended myself in a manner to make it seem humorous. "Besides, we have to go." Mitch took his keys, and lead me down to the parking lot.

"After I drop you off, I'm going to Target to get a few things. Do you need anything?" Mitch asked as he started the car. "I need a razor, a new brush, a new sketchbook, maybe a pint of chocolate ice cream, and, uh..." I thought of how to word my next sentence so it wouldn't be awkward or laughable. "Those things girls need when it's that time of the month."

All the Pentatonix fangirls would have loved the look Mitch was giving me at that moment. "You adopted a girl, remember? Things are going to get messy sometimes." It took a few seconds, but soon enough, Mitch was dying of laughter. He wiped his eyes before I said, "Can you drive, or do you need me to?"

He rolled his eyes and smiled before driving onto the highway. "Show me the way, or I'm not getting you anything." I could tell he was joking by the smile tugging at his lips. "Why?" I played along with his little joke. "Because I hate you." He responded nonchalantly. "You know you love me," I teased him, resting my head on his arm.

"I can tell by the way you look at me." I fought hard to keep my laughter from rising up my throat. "First, I don't swing that way, second, you're underage, third, this isn't some crappy chick flic." I continued to mess with him, just to see what would happen.

"You will swing that way after I'm done with you." I whispered in his ear at a stop light. Mitch tried to keep a straight face, but he burst into laughter again when the car was stopped. "You, have a dirty mind, missy!" He managed to say through his laughter. "Said everyone ever." I commented.

~*~

I hopped out of the car after Mitch stopped next to the sidewalk leading up to the front doors. "Later, whore." Mitch joked as I leaned in to grab my backpack. "Right back at you, slut." I responded with a smile on my face. "Remember, get my stuff, or there will be bloody laundry in your house in a few weeks."

"Okay. Have a good day, I guess." I stood with my hand on the door of the car. "Thanks." I slammed the door shut before running to the front doors. I opened them, and proceeded to the eighth grade hallway. As usual, kids shied away from me as I walked down the hall. It wasn't like I was a bully, though. I was just a little scary to be around. Okay, a lot scary.

I opened my locker after doing the combination, and put my backpack on the hook. Connor peered behind the door of my locker with a smile on his face while I leaned down to get my stuff. "Hey! How's the new home?" I looked up at him fondly. "So far, pretty good. Miss me yet?"

I shut my locker with my foot before Connor said anything. "Yeah. I miss having someone in the bunk above me. And someone to help me put Axe in Abigale's perfume bottle when she's not looking." I snickered as I remembered back to the time we did that. Abigale was being extra b*tchy one day, do Connor and I decided to put some cologne in her perfume bottle to get back at her.

"Well, when I'm all settled in, you can come over to my place." I said as we walked together down the hall to first period. "Great, because it sucks being stuck with a bunch of girls in that room." He complained. "I'm a girl. What's the difference having me there?" I asked, chuckling.

"Because you're an amazing person that I'm lucky to have as my best friend." I leaned my head on his shoulder. Finally, things seemed to be looking up for me. But I'd never forget what could have been, and I'll always miss that. I'll always be scarred by what happened. If I could have seen my parents to ask them one question, I would ask them one word: Why?